Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,035

2 members and 1,033 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,136
Threads: 248,585
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,258 Times in 1,219 Posts

Re: Btw

Quote Originally Posted by Metaleen View Post
    Because of the eucaliptus treatment. The symptoms of RI are reduced and the ballpython looks much better than before. He is no longer breathing with his mouth open, and no longer breathing noisily.
    Thanks for sharing your experience. I learned from my quick little Google research that eucalyptus has antiviral, antifungal and antibacterial properties. I think that is why some see it as a treatment for respiratory infections in snakes. But, this treatment has been around for a while and it's never found broad acceptance. The concern being that similar aromatic tree oils (particularly cedar) are toxic to snakes. So, it's not worth the risk. Particularly so since treatment with F10 has been found to be both safe and effective. So, I would still advise you to stop treating with eucalyptus, at least until you've consulted with your vet.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-03-2024),dakski (05-03-2024),Malum Argenteum (05-10-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,924 Times in 11,906 Posts

Because of the eucaliptus treatment. The symptoms of RI are reduced and the ballpython looks much better than before. He is no longer breathing with his mouth open, and no longer breathing noisily.
    Might also be a coincidence- some RIs just vary in severity. Ask a herp vet about that "remedy" (& please let us know what they say- if something has changed?), & don't handle your sick pet more than absolutely necessary- let him rest calmly & make sure he has optimal temperatures. If he resumes mouth breathing, see if the vet can get you in sooner- snakes cannot actually cough- but unfortunately they can choke to death on mucus from RIs.

BTW, eucalyptus oil is one of the ingredients in Vick's Vaporub- long held to be toxic to snakes. Sure, it's works on RIs in humans, but just because some say to use it on snakes, well, don't believe everything you read online.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-03-2024 at 06:56 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (05-03-2024),Malum Argenteum (05-10-2024)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,928 Times in 848 Posts
    I agree with everything said by Homebody and Bogertophis.
    Having him in a clean isolation cage is a good thing.

Even though we recommend discontinuing the eucalyptus oil, please mention it and what you did to the vet. There's a chance that the bloating can be related to oil toxicity.

Sadly, a lot of the medication that we use can be problematic to our pets. Something as simple as Tylenol is extremely dangerous to cats as an example. The vapor rub may make us feel better and some tree oils are used to medicate fish tanks, but can be dangerous to small animals like rabbits, small rodents or our snakes.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-03-2024),dakski (05-03-2024),Homebody (05-03-2024),Malum Argenteum (05-10-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,725 Times in 3,874 Posts

I agree with Bogertophis's assessment whole heartedly.

Not to beat a dead horse, but although possible the eucalyptus helped, I do not necessarily see correlation here, and it possibly did harm and you just do not know it yet.

If your snake had in RI, it took a while to develop, and they take time to get rid of. It is possible that the snake did not have an RI but was struggling due to high humidity and mold. It is also possible the eucalyptus was an irritant but you did not know that from the situation and once all was removed, the snake improved, or seems to.

I would hate to see people read this and think eucalyptus is a miracle cure all for RI's. As Homebody and Armiyana pointed out, it is not.

Not trying to give you a hard time OP, but also want readers to understand that this is not exactly a controlled scientific study.

If you do take the snake to the vet, which I would recommend, as well as improving husbandry, I would ask about how they discover what type of RI they are dealing with. A good reptile vet will do a tracheal wash in a snake that has an RI. That is the only way to know what kind of infection - bacterial or fungal - and what type you are dealing with and therefore how to treat.

I have experience with severe RI's due to snakes I have taken in and one I got who was lost in shipment and almost died from one. If a snake has a severe RI - you may only get one good shot at preventing damage and saving the snake's life.

Good luck with getting your husbandry and snake back on track. Please keep us posted as we love to hear how things turn out.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (05-04-2024),Bogertophis (05-04-2024),Homebody (05-04-2024),Malum Argenteum (05-10-2024)

Thanks

Re: I need Help/advices SOS

I cant really post any picture right now. But i changed the humidity right now its 70 . I need the higher humidity because he is on the shedding process. + with the higher humidit The his mucus membranes will not dry out and your saliva will not be thick . And it can clear faster

Thanks

So what im doing

I stopped with the oil treatment as soon as i saw your posts. Im going to wait. Im going to leave my littlw guy to realy same for me. Wait for wednesay 8. Because that's when I have an appointment.
    Im going to do the clean every day [water dish and the safe box] for him. Trying to not bother him.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Metaleen For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-04-2024),dakski (05-04-2024),Homebody (05-04-2024)

Thanks

So what happend. Went to the vet. Got 3. Oral Inject. 1 aniti biotic. 1. So what happened. I went to the vet. We were given three oral injections. 1 aniti biotic. 1. Painkiller. And 1 for bloating. Oral injections are hard for me. I have never done Beaxe [ the doctor showed me how to do it] but today we tried to give it to him. But maybe I was too rough or I don't know. When I injected it into her mouth, it was a little red [a little red coloured liquid came out. It was very tiny. I hardly noticed it (blood. But it was very minimal, barely noticeable]. That's it for now. Now we're giving him an inhaler with the stuff the doctor gave him to clear his lungs and stuff. And yes, that's it.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Metaleen For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-10-2024),Homebody (05-10-2024),Malum Argenteum (05-10-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,258 Times in 1,219 Posts

So what happend. Went to the vet. Got 3. Oral Inject. 1 aniti biotic. 1. So what happened. I went to the vet. We were given three oral injections. 1 aniti biotic. 1. Painkiller. And 1 for bloating. Oral injections are hard for me. I have never done Beaxe [ the doctor showed me how to do it] but today we tried to give it to him. But maybe I was too rough or I don't know. When I injected it into her mouth, it was a little red [a little red coloured liquid came out. It was very tiny. I hardly noticed it (blood. But it was very minimal, barely noticeable]. That's it for now. Now we're giving him an inhaler with the stuff the doctor gave him to clear his lungs and stuff. And yes, that's it.
    I'm glad to hear you've got a vet's help. Those injections sound rough. Often, the best medicine is the one that tastes the worst. What did the doctor give him for the inhaler?
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-11-2024),Metaleen (05-11-2024)

Thanks

Im not sure what its name . But i olny know its a full tranparent liquid. And almost every hospital have it. All the doctor said was that kind of stuff. It disinfects the airways.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Metaleen For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-11-2024),Homebody (05-11-2024)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12