Hi there to everyone the same thing about bans on exotics is happening way up here in Canada too. I live in BC. Canada and they just introduced Bill 29 Environmental (species and public protection) statutes act,2008
Well the I read the law or any law the government creates they seem to always use simular wording as in "they may raise taxes" , so this is why i think we have to stand together just in case after all if we prepare for the worst anything above that would not be so shocking or so bad. So I plan on going to the BCSPCA symposium on May 28 & 29/08 this in Vancouver so that i will be more imformed on exactically what will happen.
If you read the submission put forward by the BCSPCA what did they ask for

Page 6 Be prohibited to breed or traffick the animal(s) in their possession.
Page 7 To futher ensure effective regulation of exotic species to prohibit in-province in-tansit and out-of-province transport of exotic animals.

what did the gov't put into bill 29
(a) the possession of a species individual of a controlled alien species;
(b) the breeding of controlled alien species;
(c) the release of a species individual of a controlled alien species;
(d) trafficking in species individuals of a controlled alien species;
(e) the shipping or transporting in British Columbia of, or the engaging of another person to ship or transport in British Columbia, a species individual of a controlled alien species.

The only difference is the wording in calling exotic animals by the BCSPCA To controlled alien species by the Gov't ...

in 6.4 If the minister considers that a non-native species described in paragraph (a) or (b) of the definition of "species" poses a risk to the health or safety of any person or poses a risk to property, wildlife or wildlife habitat, the minister may make regulations designating the species as a controlled alien species.

Lets see non-native species are not from BC. exotic animals Are not from BC. so to me the meaning is exactically the same just a small change of words.
In our law they may be including all boids, testudines, varanidae and venomous invertebrates. real serious stuff many thousands of jobs will be lost this will affect everyone every where.