Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,186

1 members and 1,185 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Kaiju (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,149
Threads: 248,590
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, koala

Threaded View

Thanks

I Attended the HR2811 Hearing on July 29th

The gist of the results of the hearing were summed up nicely in another post:
    http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=98004

but I wanted to add a few more comments on what I observed today.

Lamar Smith (R, Texas) read the proposed bill and commented that 12 people have been killed by large constrictors since 1980. He DID NOT attribute all the deaths to Burmese pythons.
    Mr. Smith also brought up the death of the two-year old in Florida a few weeks ago.

Thomas Rooney (R, Florida) read the amendment that added Burmese pythons and African Rock pythons instead of the entire genus python.

Some things Mr. Rooney said in his statement:
    He discussed the Everglades restoration efforts. His language accused the Burmese python of being positioned to single-handedly undo their efforts (and the billion dollars already spent).
    He said the Burmese pythons has no natural predators in the Everglades and took time to mention the famous photo of a Burmese pythons split open after eating a large alligator.
    He said there are an estimated 100,000 Burmese in the Everglades and that they are thriving.
    He said that multiple thousands of Burmese pythons have been imported into the country over the past 3 years (he did not give a specific number).
    He said the two main concerns regarding Burmese pythons are 1) the Florida Everglades and 2) public safety. He also said that there is NO controversy about Burmese being a threat to public health and human safety.
    He said that after waiting for US Fish & Wildlife for 3 years to provide scientific results that Congress can no longer stand by without taking action.
    Said that banning the import of Burmese & African Rock pythons is "a piece of the solution".

At first there were not enough delegates present to take a vote on the proposed amendment but they scrambled to get enough in the room and took a simple Yay/Nay vote. I did not hear a "Nay". By my count there were 23 delegates in the room.

A few comments:
    1. After the hearing adjourned I overheard a staff member talking to Mr. Rooney. She said that many of the "snake people" who had been calling in were very rude. I heard Mr. Rooney to say, "I wish I had known that yesterday."
    Being rude when calling in and talking to staff members DOES make it back to the delegates. If you can't keep your cool and be professional it will serve the community better if you don't call at all.
    2. I overheard two staff members talking about all the snake people who were calling in opposition of the bill. She said (paraphrasing) "The must not have lives and are spending all their time sitting at their computers and calling." I had to smile at that.
    3. My delegate (Randy Forbes) is on the Judiciary Committee and during a break I went to his office to talk to him. He wasn't in but I was able to have a good talk with a staff member who was knowledgeable about HR2811. We discussed Mr. Forbes' position. He asked me mine. I do not support the bill in its original or amended form. I told him I wanted the bill to go before the committee with expert testimony. He responded that his office was open to it but didn't know what could be done since both sides were already in agreement on the amendment (HSUS and USARK).
    Colin Weaver
    East Coast Reptile Breeders
    http://www.ballpythonbreeder.com/
    Email: colin@ballpythonbreeder.com
    Phone: 757-572-1987 (Call or Text)

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to ColinWeaver For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

bsd13 (07-30-2009),CoolioTiffany (07-30-2009),Denial (07-30-2009),Freddiesinmyseat (07-30-2009),juggalo_415 (07-31-2009),neilgolli (07-30-2009),nycsicktank (07-30-2009),Russ Lawson (07-29-2009),snakemastercanada (07-31-2009),spk329 (07-30-2009),strikerratt (07-30-2009),toddmbecker1234 (07-30-2009)