Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,461

1 members and 2,460 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,170
Threads: 248,600
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, viersa

Threaded View

Thanks
    Thanked 9,740 Times in 3,879 Posts

Preparing for power outages

In light of the recent storm that had us out of power here in CT for 2+ days, I wanted to post about preparing for a power outage, and encourage others to comment as well and fill in anything I missed.

As discussed in my post https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-you-generator, we prepared for outages by having a whole home generator installed. This is ideal as your home operates essentially as it would if connected to electricity like it normally is.

However, it's an expensive option and not necessarily something everyone can do.

Here is a list of ways to prepare for power outages:

1. Generator - whole home is preferable, but you can also get smaller ones just to run the heat in the winter and the your reptile tanks. This is the most expensive option, but also the most complete.

2. For the winter, have reptile heat packs on hand. NEVER USE HAND WARMERS, etc. For the summer, have reptile cold packs on hand.

https://www.reptilebasics.com/shipping-supplies/

Insulated boxes are great as well. Basically, the above shipping supplies are ideal for dealing with outages regardless of time of year/season.

Keep in mind too hot can kill reptiles just as too cold can. Know your species and what temps they need.

3. DO NOT FEED BEFORE A STORM

Reptiles need proper temps for digestion. If you know a storm is coming, do not feed for a day or two before, depending on species. For lizards who eat regularly, 2 days is probably good. For snakes and lizards who eat less frewuently, 3-4 days is better.

4. Try to have a plan of where you can go if you need to move your reptiles. The more backups the better depending on how many people have lost power in your area. The larger the collection, the more problematic this becomes - I have 12 tanks, hence the whole home generator. Moving all the reptiles would be difficult at best.

5. Try to keep your reptiles in part of the house that has consistent temps and insulation.

Basements - underground and insulated - are ideal.

My reptile area/room is in the basement. It's an underground finished basement. Even if power went out in the summer, it would never get too hot for anyone I have down there. About 80F is the hottest without an AC unit running (which I run to keep temps and humidity consistent). In the winter, the insulation would help keep temps from dropping too quickly.

This is what I have thought of so far.

Please, if I missed anything, chime in with other ideas.

Stay safe and prepared out there my reptile loving friends.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (08-07-2020),Bogertophis (08-07-2020),Brian Aish (01-21-2022),Craiga 01453 (08-08-2020),EL-Ziggy (08-08-2020),jmcrook (08-07-2020),nikkubus (02-17-2021),Spicey (08-07-2020),WrongPython (08-07-2020),XanthippezMom (08-10-2020)