Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,761

0 members and 2,761 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,179
Threads: 248,609
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, ReptiFreak

Threaded View

Thanks

Re: Leopard gecko breeding questions

Quote Originally Posted by Erie_herps View Post
    This is all great! I really hope that you get lots of gecko babies.

Not to derail the thread too much but when you bred mealworms in the past how did you collect the mealworms? I have a mealworm colony but I don't want to pick out each mealworm one by one and I haven't been able to get a filter to seperate the mealworms from the substrate. Also, if you get an AFS be sure to get a captive bred one or give it a thorough health check in person. I had an AFS but it died due to phorid fly maggots a few days after I got it, which is my fault for not checking that before I bought it.
    I put egg cartons (paper, not styrofoam) in the containers slightly buried in substrate. A lot of the worms either climbed into the cartons or hung out just below them. When I wanted to collect some I lifted the cartons and grabbed a handful of worms. You have to act quick or they'll just burrow underneath again. What are you giving them to drink? I gave mine apple slices and they also liked to hang out under them. Repeat checking under the stuff everyday for 5 days or so and you'll get most of the worms out. You'll end up getting mostly worms, but also some bedding, which isn't an issue since you'll want to put them in the fridge with a bit of bedding anyway. Just find out where yours hang out. I purposefully left a few in and continued feeding them and everything. I found that they usually turn into pupae on the surface so it's a lot easier to take them out than the worms that burrow. And if you miss any of those, they'll turn into beetles which are easily moved to the breeding container, usually before they lay eggs. Anyway, hope this helps and good luck!

I will definately go for a captive bred scorpion (or mostly anything, for that matter ).
    My name is Josiah, proud owner of Lenetta and Lea the leopard geckos and Bluebelly the fence lizard.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lizrd_boy For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-09-2022),Erie_herps (04-09-2022)