Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post
Blue Beauties are understandably appealing. For what it's worth, I try to convince people who want Blue Beauties to spend time around other large colubrids before committing to one. They are without a doubt an absolutely stunning snake but they are not the right snake for everyone, and not everyone is charmed by an 8' long, nervous, fast moving snake that eats a lot, poops a lot, isn't interested in engaging with people and isn't afraid to bite to let you know that you need to back off. It seems like you are pretty convinced about getting one, so I guess the only other thing I would say is to be sure you have the resources and space for an enclosure.

I personally wouldn't keep an adult Blue Beauty in anything smaller than a 4'x3'x6' at the very minimum, but bigger (6'x3'x8') would be better, which would easily run more than double or triple your one thousand dollar estimate unless you are super good at DIY.
No worries, this has been mulled over in my mind for nearly 2 years. Their relative tenacity is part of what draws me as I want a larger more fiery species as a challenge, but they can't really hurt me beyond biting as they aren't heavy-bodied so they aren't outright dangerous as far as I'm concerned. In fact one of the reasons I have my new corn is to have some time getting used to a snake that isn't a super slow and bulky species like my BP as a bit of a "warm up" so to speak.

I am fully aware and prepared in terms of cost and resources as well. Expecting the snake itself to cost half a grand minimum, and am well aware that the total cost will go well over a grand. AP's 6'x2'x4' (I sadly can't really find anything taller but the vendor at the show said it'd be adequate) is what I'm looking at in terms of an adult enclosure, with a sequence of tubs and smaller PVC setups to grow up in for the meantime.

I'm sacrificing other non-essential/animal aspects of my life (nearly everything about my PC setup needs to be upgraded and there are new video games I've stopped myself from getting for example) in order to save money for this very goal, so I am 100% all in and serious about it.