Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,620

2 members and 2,618 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Aag2019 (31)

» Stats

Members: 75,202
Threads: 248,610
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, CUGrad99

View Poll Results: Does your snake love you?

Voters
1669. You may not vote on this poll
  • I know my snake loves me!

774 46.38%
  • I know my snake doesn't care. It does not feel emotions.

895 53.62%

Threaded View

Thanks
    Thanked 19,954 Times in 11,923 Posts

Re: I think my snake loves me

Quote Originally Posted by YungRasputin View Post
    i think snakes are much more intelligent than people realize - which is being confirmed with recent intelligence studies pertaining to them - i also think they’re capable of base emotions and are emotionally intelligent - i aim to do more research into this however i would point out anecdotally that there have been peer reviewed studies involving bees and arachnids which demonstrated that they are capable of experiencing base emotions eg: when subjected to negative stimuli they produced more chemicals that we typically associate with fear and stress in humans - insomuch as reptiles can be socialized and insomuch as humans can form bonds overtime with specific snakes who do indeed feel these base emotions i think i could say they love me in that sort of Star Trek Data “I’ve gotten use to you” sort of way you know
    Quote Originally Posted by Animallover3541 View Post
    The two main "emotions" I think most if not all animals can feel is stress and contentment. I believe reptiles also possess fear and familiarity, and some more may experience a food-associated or pseudo-companionship type of relationship. Many definitely enjoy the warmth from people too. I have owned frogs which, at the very least, can understand the behaviors and actions I took before I fed them and of course turtles often splash around and reach for their owners in their tanks if they think they are being fed. Its very cute
    I agree. Not based on any official study, but just my experience of many years living with & knowing so many snakes. And seeing that they remember & trust me, even when not handled often, & that trust carries over to others when I've shared them, even at the vet's office. None of my snakes have ever bit anyone else once tame with me- I'm not calling it love- more like trust- feeling safe. And it makes sense to me- in the wild, they learn their way around & learn where they are safe from predators- when they're captive pets, we're part of their environment that they learn to trust. If things change around them, they're instinctively unsettled until they learn they're still safe.

I do remember reading that snakes that are rehomed are more likely to get sick- ie. their immune system responds to stress much as ours does- stress negatively affects health. That's why anytime I get a new snake, I try to treat them like a newborn in the ICU- lots of "TLC" while they settle in, & hands off for a while. New snakes- whether shipped from a breeder or from a store or an expo- have often been thru a LOT & exposed to other diseases along the way- so you want them to remain healthy & have their immune system work as well as possible.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 11-02-2022 at 01:50 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)