Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,147

2 members and 1,145 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,158
Threads: 248,599
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Brayden0924

Threaded View

Thanks

Local "Pet Store" Conditions - Should I be concerned?

Hi everyone. I'm not sure where to put this, but I think here?

I went out today to visit a new pet store in my area, only open for about a month and a half, maybe 2 months? It states on their FB page that they are my area's "only exotic pet store/zoo", and they resell reptile supplies, so I wanted to stop by and see what they had for decor and feeders. Their FB also mentioned having PVC cages, so I thought, "Hey, if they're good quality and I can pick them up in person, cool!".

To be clear, I've never been to a concrete exotics store before, so maybe this is all industry practice, but I want to double check.

First, the good. It seems like the place is trying to set up an area for reptile outreach/parties, and they had indented spaces in the wall (not finished) that look like the kind of thing I've seen being converted into zoo-like enclosures. They havent been open long, so I want to give them the benefit of the doubt that they're working on it. The few complete enclosures I saw looked pretty good, with a massive nearly room size area in the back where they had turtles and ducks, and a massive pallet size plastic tank that had a snapping turtle in it. They also had a... cockatoo? In a very large cage, easily like 8'x8'x8' if not more. I dont know birds, really.

Now for the bad. I was... pretty put off by what I saw. They had a good variety of feeders, but the first thing I noticed when I came in is that the whole place smelled pretty bad. They easily had over 200 reptiles, mostly snakes and geckos, and the snakes really put me off. There were rows and rows of plain tanks, with like an inch of reptibark, a single water bowl, and literally nothing else. I saw everything from baby BPs to adult snakes and even good sized Boas, definitely yearling or more, in these totally plain 10-20 gallon tanks under bright lighting. I saw multiple who had shed stuck all over them, and I wouldnt be surprised even a little if there were mites, as several snakes were sitting in their water bowls (if they could even fit). Even the bigger snakes and some monitors were in totally bare cages, and the monitors (black rough necks?) Never stopped running back and forth and rubbing their noses on the glass the whole time I was there. They had a good sized sunglow, probably at least 2 or 3 years old, which had stuck shed patches all over its body, including its head, and it was in a decent sized maybe pvc, but there was no lighting in it and nothing but reptibark and a single bowl. It was nearly stargazing, just sitting dead still with the first foot or so if its body held straight up in the air. Conditions for some crested geckos looked better. They had some decor to hide behind, at least. A few of the lizards also had better conditions, but even they mostly had totally bare cages. There were also cockatiels in bird cages, but I dont know anything about cockatiels, so I wont comment on those.

As far as the resell items I came in looking for, they had a wire shelf at the back which had just about anything you could think of shoved on it, but none of it was clean, and some even still had visible poop on them. There were huge tubs of leaves and vine decor, and piles of hides, water bowls, reptile mats, beardie nets, wood, etc., all just kinda shoved into this space wherever they would fit. The PVC cages were the weirdest I've ever seen, they looked nothing like I've seen before. There were no holes or vents on them, and there was a 2-3"(?) Rim around the front on all sides. It looked sort of like a substrate guard, except it went up the sides as well. Nothing necessarily wrong there, but I don't have the tools to drill holes or cut out vents in PVC, so I decided to pass. I also was so put off by the smell and subpar conditions of the snakes that I just decided to leave.

I know they're still setting up, but I really just got a bad vibe from this place. Maybe it's just me though- is this standard, to keep all kinds of snakes in totally plain tanks? None were cohabbed, like sometimes chain pet stores do, but I feel like at least the cohabbed snakes in chain pet stores I've seen had hides and enrichment. The vast majority of the snakes were BPs, and I have never seen so many snakes just... looking stressed out and uncomfortable. Even some big ones that were balled up still took up half the tank with their body, easy. Only about 10 of the larger reptiles had appropriately sized enclosures.

I dont know, I just feel really uncomfortable about the conditions that store was keeping the animals in, and for sure I won't be going back. The whole place just felt dirty and messy. But is this level of care (or lack thereof) something to be concerned about? And if it is serious, what could I even do about it?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OatBoii For This Useful Post:

Animallover3541 (03-09-2023),Bogertophis (03-08-2023)