Quote Originally Posted by Ailuros View Post
...I've been talking with a family member about her enclosure, and we've been wondering about heating. I'm planning on using heat tape but we are unsure on how to attach it to the tank/set it up in general. Any tips or instructions on how to get the heating set up would be very helpful!
Heat can be a "problem" with very large tanks/enclosures, especially if your room/house is on the cool side compared to the needs of your snake(s). Heat tapes are mostly designed to be used outside a tank- specifically underneath so the heat rises into it (unless specially made, like the insulated & grounded ones designed to be used in damp environments like whelping boxes & farms). That's why we often refer to them as "UTH" (= under tank heat). Most UTH heat is on the mild size (otherwise you'd be grilling your snake! ) and in a large set-up, may not be adequate to achieve the needed warmth for the kind of snake you're housing. (Boas & pythons need more heat than colubrids, for example.)

So it depends whether you're using a tank (screen top) or enclosure as to what else you'd need to install- at least for the colder seasons. You never want to heat the entire floor with UTH- I assume you know that? Usually best to heat no more than half the floor for safety reasons- & obviously you need a reliable thermostat for all heat sources. You will want to actually have the tank or enclosure for a while BEFORE you attempt to move your snake into it- as it will take time to fully test the temperatures you are able to achieve. Nothing worse than trying to test, reconfigure & install different heat sources while a snake is in residence- it's not safe for the snake to do that, & the commotion will stress them.

Glass tanks can be a little harder to keep in the heat, but that's mostly because of all the air-flow on top- which can EASILY be modified. It's also easy to insulate the sides & top, so the type of housing you choose really is up to you. I happen to prefer glass tanks, but every option has pro's & con's. AND EVERY situation is a little different, so don't expect anyone else to say "You need this & this & it will be perfect." IF only... No, like I said, there are multiple factors that influence what you need, & there's no way around you needing to test it & modify as needed- preferably before the snake is in residence. Your needs will depend on whether you live in Alaska or the Mojave desert, & exactly how much air space is inside, plus how much air flow there is. The reason plastic/PVC enclosures "hold in the heat better" is mostly because they have much less ventilation.