Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,914

1 members and 2,913 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,154
Threads: 248,594
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, GrantW

Threaded View

Thanks
    Thanked 19,940 Times in 11,916 Posts

Re: which species ins best for a 6 foot naturalistic enclosure a ball python or boa b

Quote Originally Posted by herphunter View Post
    Thank you for the information really appreciate I want a naturalistic enclosure I want just make it look like the wild have branches, tunnels or burrows to hide and explore, live plants and grass, rocks etc and provide a lot of enrichment for them to utilize. I want the enclosure to be made out of PVC I was going to use a mister for humidity that why I want live plants because it helps with humidity I live in NC it rains a lot during the summer get really hot about 70 degrees but it get cold around November and December. I have held snakes before mainly ball pythons but I also held a hognose snakes at the reptile expos I went to.

I understand the attraction but I'd advise you against live plants- it's not realistic for what you want to keep, and it will distract you from your pet, because most snakes will trash most plants-it's that simple. And the lights required to keep a plant alive may stress out your snake. You want a habitat that duplicates the wild in appearance, but that's very difficult even for those with experience. "Bio-active" enclosures are advertised a lot these days- there's a reason for that- it's called "marketing"- some are making money off selling you that stuff. Doesn't mean it works all that well- & it's certainly not easy.

And another thing- when you first get a new snake, no matter where it comes from, it's strongly advisable to keep it in minimal surroundings (on white paper towels for a substrate), with a water bowl & hides- NO decor that is porous- ie. made of wood, etc. where mites can hide or leave eggs. There is nothing sadder than seeing a keeper get a beautiful habitat set up for their snake, then have to dismantle it & throw away most of it because their new snake came with tiny mites they didn't see. Mites can kill a snake- they reproduce exponentially- so when we talk about quarantining all new snakes with minimal furnishings & being watchful- we mean it. For preferably about 2 months- to make sure they don't have parasites. They're spread easily* and they're common these days- it's a real set-back if you have to treat an already-stressed new snake for them, as it impacts their appetite & growth. (*When venders allow potential buyers at shows to handle their snakes, & then they don't buy them, they can also have passed along mites from another vender's animals...keep that in mind. Good sellers minimize allowing people to handle their snakes.)

So "first things first". Whatever snake you ultimately get, it's best to let them settle in (without handling) until they're eating- at least 3 times easily at regular intervals (unless in shed- then it's normal for them to refuse meals). Remember that snakes are also exposed to various pathogens that you cannot see- and since stress (from being in a new home, & from being handled) diminishes their immune system functioning- that's another good reason to hold off handling & interacting with your new snake. Yes, we all know that's "torture" but put the snake's needs first- always. A snake that's too stressed won't eat, & snakes that don't eat (for a while) become weak & are at greater health risks- & ultimately (if they continue to refuse to eat) they won't survive.

In choosing a snake, keep in mind that the warmer it needs to be, the bigger challenge it's going to be if/when your home/room gets very chilly in the winter. Not everyone sets their thermostats the same- also, be prepared for power outages, for example. Many colubrids (such as corn & most rat snakes) are fine with more temperature variations & humidity. In fact, snakes that come from desert regions (Trans Pecos & Bairds rat snakes, & rosy boas, for example) require good air flow (screen topped enclosures) to stay healthy. So you should probably be choosing the kind of snake you want before you buy an enclosure for it. So it's good that you're here, researching & asking questions. It's a big decision- take your time. I have to admit that when the snake-keeping "bug" first bit me- and for a LONG time afterwards- I was smitten with practically every kind I saw, whether or not it was practical or even available where I lived. So we do understand how hard this is...

No such thing as a dumb question- we've all asked them too.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-22-2023 at 01:39 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (09-22-2023)