I have a Spotnose dbl het Clown and DG male who’s never bred before. He’s up to 1000g and has started being finicky about food. A few weeks ago I paired him with one of my females who’s laid before a few years ago. I checked every few hours, before I went to bed and when I woke up. I never saw a lock. After trying him 3 times with the same female last year without success, I’ve been losing hope with him. I give all my males 48 hours generally to lock.

Out of curiosity to see if it was that particular female and not him, I paired him a few days ago with another female who laid a nice 9 egg clutch for us last year from another male. It was storming outside and I had a fresh shed from another male in there with her. I checked consistently, and while I saw she had been tail wagging and leaving scent in the tub, again I never saw a lock from him. Now I’m *really* losing hope with him, and he was a valuable little guy for some of our projects.

One thing I haven’t tried is the sperm plug trick from another male. Are there any other tricks or tips? Do some males just… not go? We’re so disappointed after having so much success last year. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk