Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,184

0 members and 2,184 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,170
Threads: 248,600
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, viersa
    Thanks

New cat, Angry Husband

I've had this cat for about three months now and I can't seem to get her to go in her litter box. I'm thinking of getting someone to train her, because apparently I am doing something wrong. As a result of this, I have stains and odors all over my house and now my husband wants me to get rid of her. I'm already too attached to her so that's definitely not a possibility. I just need to find a good stain remover and I'm sure he'll change his mind. I've heard of Bramton Planet Urine, and a friend recommended an enzyme based cleaner for Cat Urine Removal. Do you suggest I use one of these or is there another product that has worked really well for you? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today."- James Dean

Thanks

Re: New cat, Angry Husband

The two products that I recommend are Spot-Shot for the stain itself, and Anti-Icky-Poo to remove the odor. As long as the odor is there she/he will still continue to go on/around that area.

as far as causes....

Have you taken her to the vet? If she has a uti, that could explain the inappropriate urination. If that's not it, you may need more litter boxes (usually one per floor, some cats need more). If she is urinating on one particular item, try removing her access to that item (I have a cat that will urinate on piles of laundry....dirty or clean, doesn't matter. I can't have a hamper out that doesn't have a lid) Also, try moving her food bowls to the area that she likes to urinate on. Cats WILL NOT urinate/defacate where they eat. This may be inconvenient, but if it works (give it about 2-3 weeks to know for sure) you can start transitioning the food bowl back to a more convenient spot.

Hope this helps....

Thanks

Nature's Miracle for stain/odor and you can try Cat Attract Litter to encourage litter box use.
    1.1 crazy dogs
    4.3 even crazier cats
    2.2 bps
    2.0 Off Track Thoroughbreds
    0.3 human kids
    1.0 Boyfriend who puts up with the craziness

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries

As far as removing the odor, their's stuff they sell to remove ferrets urin, and I know somebody who uses that to remove any kind of cat urin, not sure of what it's called though as i'm sure you can check on petco/pet smart site.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

Thanks

Is she your only cat? Was she a stray you took in? How old is the cat and is it fixed?

I hate to say it because I do like cats but I have to agree with your husband. As much as it's nice to have a cat, there's no way I'd want to live in a house that a pet is using for it's toilet. You may have to decide at some point whether it's right to keep an animal that is upsetting your spouse.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frankykeno View Post
    Is she your only cat? Was she a stray you took in? How old is the cat and is it fixed?

I hate to say it because I do like cats but I have to agree with your husband. As much as it's nice to have a cat, there's no way I'd want to live in a house that a pet is using for it's toilet. You may have to decide at some point whether it's right to keep an animal that is upsetting your spouse.
    Or you may end up with a new husband and an angry cat.
    Do not resuscitate

Thanks

I second the "has she seen a vet?" When I worked for a vet, I was a receptionist and was trained to treat cats not using litter boxes as an emergency, and to recommend people come in immediately. Cats have delicate urinary tracts and can easily get UTI's (urinary tract infections.)

I'd take the kitty to the vet if you haven't done so already. If you have and the kitty was said to be completely normal, then it is just a training issue. When she poops somewhere else, pick it up and put it in her box. Take kitty and show her (stick her in the box) that it's there.

What kind of box are you using? If you're using a covered box, uncover it. If you're using an open box, cover it. If you're using an automatic box, turn it off (she may be afraid of it.) One of my cats refused to use the $100 automatic box I bought because he was afraid to use it.

0.1 Piebald "Piper" - 0.1 Lesser "Reese" - 0.1 Spider "Arana" - 0.1 Pinstripe "Inyo"
    0.1 VPI Axanthic "Nami" - 0.1 Black Pastel w/Ringer "Lina" - 0.1 Pastel "Gembi"
    0.1 Normal "Malia" - 1.0 Pastel Het Piebald "Karamu" - 1.0 Enchi "Lada" - 1.0 Pewter "Stone"

OTHER SNAKES...
    0.1 Rosy Boa "Loki" - 1.0 Albino Boa "One Eyed Willie" - 1.0 Albino Boa "Mateo"
    0.1 Orange Sunglow Boa "Caliente" (or just "Cali") - 1.0 Amelanistic Cornsnake "Sunny Tequila"

OTHER HERPS...
    0.2 Leopard Geckos "Keeta & Multan" - 0.2 Crested Geckos "Rexy & Alpha"
    Redfoot Tortoise "LT" - 0.0.1 Strawberry Pineapple Pacman Frog "Polo"

OTHER NON-HERPS...
    0.1 American Bulldog "Maui - 0.1 Shiba Inu "Mako" - 1.0 White Cat "Lucaya"
    0.1 Albino Skunk "Lakota" - 1.0 Hedgehog "Herbie" - 0.1 Chilean Rose Tarantula "Harriet"