Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,677

0 members and 2,677 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Kam (43)
meganp (24)

» Stats

Members: 75,154
Threads: 248,595
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, GrantW
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is it?

Thanks
    I'm fairly certain that what you got there is an Indian Meal Moth (we call it Pantry moth). I hate those things! They sometimes show up in the 50lb bag of rice I get from the Asian market and I had to throw the bag away! I now buy my rice from somewhere else and I haven't had them in a while.

They are just like you described - webby with red noses. And guess what, Brandon Pest Control can't get rid of them.
    ----------------------------------
    BP owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
    0.1.0 pastel bp
    1.0.0 spider bp
    0.1.0 albino bp
    1.0.0 bumblebee bp
    1.0.0 yellowbelly bp
    0.0.1 normal bp
    1.0.0 normal western hognose

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Thanks
    They make pheromone traps for those guys that work really well.
    It's actually better if you buy the pheromone trap, and take the bait out and put it on a fly strip.

I have one in my animal room from when I had a freakin' infestation of moths, that I kid you not has 300+ moths stuck to it. Once enough get lured in by the pheromones, then the whole strip starts smelling like moths, and it attracts them even more.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: What is it?

Yep...looks like a Pantry Moth to me. Nasty little critters and can be challenging to get rid of if they're solidly established because they'll leave their eggs in all sorts of nooks and crannies that you won't know are there until you find the worms or worse, the empty casings left by the worms. I wish I'd known about pheromone traps when I had to deal with them years ago. They came in on one of those cinnamon brooms you hang in the pantry to make it smell good. I'll never buy another one of those again! Since I'd never seen or heard of these things before, they got pretty well established before I put 2 and 2 together. I had to throw away a LOT of food because anything that wasn't canned was fair game. Even glued box-tops and sealed plastic bags (cereal for instance) was not enough to keep them from finding a way into the food.

Good luck.
    -- Judy

Thanks
    Yeah, in my mom's house we've found them in bags of noodles and things. They'll chew right through the cardboard and everything.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12