Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,769

3 members and 1,766 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,175
Threads: 248,604
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, LouveniaEl
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    I tried cervical dislocation and 'bopping.' I failed miserably at both. The poor thing seized up, then hopped back onto its feet. In the meantime, my snake quickly and happily killed a mouse in half a second. I stick with feeding live. Yeah you have to watch to make sure they don't bite your snake, but its not hard to keep them from doing that.

I know live feeding wasn't something you were considering, but if your not sure you can whack them good, its absolutely AWFUL to not quite get them good enough and watch them suffer. Imo, forget his judgement and build the chamber.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,357 Times in 4,745 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike41793 View Post
    If you do it correctly your stepdads method is just as humane imo. Whether its boppin them on the head or cervical dislocation.

Sorry i cant be of much help, i kinda just agree with him haha.
    Just like little bunny foo foo, scoopin up the field mice and boppin em on the head.

This way is quick too, and much easier. You hit them hard enough and after one bonk, they are gone just like that. Technically its probably not "humane" when a bp bites them and then chokes them off. But, I'm sure this will be a higlhy debatable topic. To each his or her own.
    Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
    If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies.

Thanks
    I use the cervical dislocation method. It's easy to do. I learned on my own after getting a basic desription. You don't have to restrain them. Just take them out of the tub by the tail then let them try and get away on a flat service, while still holding their tail. Take a screw driver and quickly pin them down right behind the head on their neck and pull up at an angle on their tale. You'll hear/feel the break in their neck. Your first time, I would pin them down a little bit harder with the screw driver until you get a feel for things and how much force is actually required. If you don't push down hard enough and they squeeze out, you'll have a very angry mouse that is prone to bite. Which is understandable, but still no fun and makes it harder to do the deed. I have to warn you though, I have had times when they've bled after i euthanized them. I think it was because I pulled to hard though. Only twice out of over 40 euthanizations. Sorry for the ramble(:
    Corns:
    0.0.1 Normal; 0.1.0 Amel Motley
    1.0.0 Butter Motley; 0.1.0 Charcoal

Thanks

Re: I want to breed some rats and euthanize with CO2, but my step dad says hit the he

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    Some of these make me laugh. CO2 or cracking their melon are both fine with me. But a rat being terrified by getting whipped through the air has to be better than watching something crawl up to you, bite you, and then proceed to squeeze the life out of you. If it were me I would pick the rollercoaster ride.

If you want to use CO2 then do it. Your dad is not trying to stop you, he just suggested another way right?
    It wasnt a suggest, it was a "grow a pair and just do it" kind of thing.
    Hi i'm Californiakingsnake
    0.1 Girlfriend (Peachies)
    0.0.1 Columbian redtail boa
    1.0 Albino california kingsnake
    1.1 Leopard gecko
    1.4 normal ball python (1.2 het for albino)
    1.1 pastel ball python
    1.0 Mojave ball python
    1.1 albino
    1.0 pinstripe
    1.0 aussie/beagle mix pup(Fez)
    "more herps will go here eventually as I get them"

Thanks
    I have done cervical dislocation, 'bopping' and CO2 (via dry ice). Normally I wack them, but most the time they bleed from the nose. And sometimes, no matter how good you are you will mess up. I am switching to CO2 (with a tank). It is the most peaceful in my opinion, with little to no blood. I did have one rat bleed a little from the nose once. But the other five in that group didn't. All three ways work, it is up to what you are most comfortable with.

Thanks

Re: I want to breed some rats and euthanize with CO2, but my step dad says hit the he

when doing large numbers co2 is a lot easier and quicker
    The only way to shine your light is in the dark...Never let life kill your spark- Crown the Empire

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123