Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,412

1 members and 1,411 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Jcd5v (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,178
Threads: 248,609
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, turntechgodhead
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Neutering?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Neutering?

Quote Originally Posted by Wapadi View Post
    I agree with captjack. I have not neutered our 2 year old dachshund.

1. Dachshunds have bad reactions to anesthesia as a breed in general.
    3. I am of the opinion that we do not do needless surgeries on humans why do them on our pets. My husband and I are responsible pet owners and he isn't roaming the streets. I have a very close friend who lost her puppy during this surgery.
    #1- Really? In my years in a day practice, and in my time in the spay/neuter section of the humane society where I work, I have never experienced this.

#3- Did you friend do labwork prior to surgery? Any surgery does carry a risk, of course. I had to sign something saying that I understood I might die when I had my appendectomy done.

Considering the sheer number of intact male dogs that come through our shelter (about 85% of the dogs we have for adoption are males), and the numbers of puppies we will soon see from accidental litters... And accidents can happen to responsible owners. My last dog was from an 'oops' litter at a breeder. She wasn't planning on breeding that female that year, to give the male more time to mature. But the neighbor's working-line and intact cattle dog climbed several very tall fences and got to the mom. The result was 9 puppies. I also took as a surrender 2 years ago an 8 year old chi that was in dystocia from an 'oops', when the owners found an intact male stray chi in the backyard. He'd dug under the fence.

I have also seen far too many females die from pyometras, including a 2 year old pitbull.
    Last edited by Spiritserpents; 04-03-2014 at 10:54 AM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I spayed my female dog. I had actually intended to breed her at some point. She was a rescue american bulldog mutt but is absolutely gorgeous. I thought id love to get some puppies from her. I absolutely could not handle managing her heat cycle tho. We were both absolutely miserable. And ill second the idea that being responsible with a :cens0r::cens0r::cens0r::cens0r::cens0r: in heat is not nearly as simple as it sounds. Even the neutered dogs in our neighborhood were trying to dig through my fence to get to her. She ended up having to basically be crated for most of her whole cycle. It sucked for both of us. After that I had her spayed and never looked back.

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk 2

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Slightly off topic but relevant:

I'm planning on getting a highly rated (by the German letter rating system) German Shepherd in the next two years or so. I've even picked out a breeder and put down a deposit for when the right puppy arrives.

I grew up with a neutered boxer and have always fixed my cats. And my first instinct is to immediately get the guy snipped when he arrives (I want a male, but I'm not 100% set.)

Anyway, if he's sort of prime breeding stock, is it wrong to neuter him? He'd be living in a situation with no chance of accidents, but I'd personally prefer to neuter for many of the above-listed reasons.

Do you guys think the breeder will try to stop me from neutering him? Not that they really could stop me, but they could try to discourage it, no?

To start another topic entirely, has anybody noticed issues with increased weight gain after neutering?
    Last edited by dkspftw; 04-03-2014 at 11:47 AM.

Thanks
    IF the breeder thought he was good enough to breed, he wouldn't sell to you - just to be blunt - or would do so with a contract that he maintain co-ownership, the dog be shown/proven in working arenas and that he be bred. If he's not doing those things and you're more comfortable neutering - neuter.

Even the best line dogs have litters that are not The Best. That's the way genetics work and most will hold onto the ones they want to breed themselves, or to known working or show homes. That isn't saying that the pups they sell are somehow 'bad', or defective, just that they only breed the very best of the very best, who PROVE themselves to be the best in either conformation or work (and send those dogs to homes that will be showing or working homes). The ones who go to 'pet' homes almost always do so with a contract that says you will neuter at some age/will not breed.

So no, you're not likely to have any issues with the breeder.
    Last edited by CptJack; 04-03-2014 at 11:50 AM.
    ---
    1.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Pastel BP
    1.1 Black and White Banded Cal-King

2.3 Dogs
    0.4 Cats
    1.0 Husband
    2.0 Kids

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CptJack For This Useful Post:

dkspftw (04-03-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dkspftw View Post
    Slightly off topic but relevant:

I'm planning on getting a highly rated (by the German letter rating system) German Shepherd in the next two years or so. I've even picked out a breeder and put down a deposit for when the right puppy arrives.

I grew up with a neutered boxer and have always fixed my cats. And my first instinct is to immediately get the guy snipped when he arrives (I want a male, but I'm not 100% set.)

Anyway, if he's sort of prime breeding stock, is it wrong to neuter him? He'd be living in a situation with no chance of accidents, but I'd personally prefer to neuter for many of the above-listed reasons.

Do you guys think the breeder will try to stop me from neutering him? Not that they really could stop me, but they could try to discourage it, no?

To start another topic entirely, has anybody noticed issues with increased weight gain after neutering?
    Unless you sign some sort of contract stipulating you CAN'T have him neutered, then there's nothing to think about there. I am a retired VT, and I can toss in some input from experience. Some folks prefer to wait until their pup reaches around 10mths to a year old so before neutering so that their growth isn't hindered compared to a dog that was neutered earlier on in puppyhood. You can sometimes look at a dog and tell that he was neutered early. Some folks could care less. Personal preference. I will also say, in seeing/handling/treating and owning some fixed and some non fixed dogs over the years....fixed dogs DO have a high trend of being over weight. Now this of course also is affected by the owner and how much they feed, but I see obesity in dogs more often in ones that are fixed. Now, I own both show and hunting dogs, meaning a lot of my dogs are intact, but I know how to keep dogs separated, and each of my dogs has their own living quarters, so that is not an issue at all. I have raised some intact dogs to old age, and never had an issue. I have seen a few (not many) intact males over the years that came in with bloody urine that wound up diagnosed with prostate problems that had to be neutered, but not as many as you would imagine. With the males, there are some behavioral benefits of neutering of course as already mentioned. When done EARLY on, less chance of marking everything, possibly less territorial. I have raised intact males indoors over the years with no issues. Matter of fact, I have had a male rescue that was neutered very young that was a complete arse in the house. All in all, it depends on YOUR preference. If you know you are responsible enough to keep him confined properly at all times, I don't see an issue with keeping him intact. I have worked in veterinary hospitals as well as shelters for many years and I have seen what irresponsible ownership of intact dogs can lead to, hundreds of dogs/puppys/cats/kittens have died in my arms as a result, but I am not one to go around insisting that one MUST spay and neuter everything or else you are part of the problem. The people who are part of the problem are the ones that aquire dogs that they can't take care of or confine properly and allow them to roam free and breed at will. If you prefer to neuter, go right ahead! It's ultimately a personal decision best made by you.
    THE place for Blood/Short-Tail Enthusiasts

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DNACurtusK For This Useful Post:

bad-one (04-07-2014)

Thanks

If you never intend to breed I would say get your pet spayed/neutered.
    Honestly I am totally against unnecessary cosmetic surgeries on animals(Tail docking on something like a Dane that cab break your nose with its tail is however understandable).
    But, the risks of an unwanted, unexpected and possibly unknown heritage litter of pups would outweigh the negatives.
    But, then again that is simply my own opinion and worth no more or less than anyone else's.

- - - Updated - - -

If you never intend to breed I would say get your pet spayed/neutered.
    Honestly I am totally against unnecessary cosmetic surgeries on animals(Tail docking on something like a Dane that cab break your nose with its tail is however understandable).
    But, the risks of an unwanted, unexpected and possibly unknown heritage litter of pups would outweigh the negatives.
    But, then again that is simply my own opinion and worth no more or less than anyone else's.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12