Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,000

1 members and 1,999 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Kam (43)
meganp (24)

» Stats

Members: 75,156
Threads: 248,597
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Lucasthesurf
    Thanks

Red eared slider info

So I am trying to help a friend out who rescued an animal out of a bad situation to bring it home only to find out it is a red eared slider. I am a snake guy myself so it took some doing just to ID it right. I am wondering if anyone here can point me in the right direction to help my buddy as I know taking wild animals from home is never smart, I just dont wanna see this awesome turtle do bad if I can help it. Thanks a bunch guys

Thanks
    29 views and no answers?

Thanks
    http://www.peteducation.com/article....+1797&aid=2613 This is the best information I can find. I'm sorry, I kept turtles a LONG time ago, but I was a kid and don't remember much beyond 'they need a lot more space than people think'.
    ---
    1.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Pastel BP
    1.1 Black and White Banded Cal-King

2.3 Dogs
    0.4 Cats
    1.0 Husband
    2.0 Kids

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Just google "red eared slider care". Read a ton Of care sheets. Some sheets can have bad information so you read a ton and generally when you see the same thing over and over again it's generally correct.
    Always be Batman

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries
    red eared sliders are pretty tough and can withstand a lot of 'less then optimum' care. Which is one of the reasons that many states (my own included) are trying to list them as an invasive species. Space is probably the primary concern. Forget about aquariums and get a cattle trough. One of those 100+ gallon plastic ones at fleet farm or Tractor Supply work really well (and is a lot cheaper then a glass aquarium) A basking lamp and a log or rock to haul out on is very much appreciated, but you don't really need a water heater if it's going to be inside. Some people use the biggest filters they can find, I think filtering a turtle tank is an exercise in futility and I do complete water changes regularily (a nearby floor drain and a syphon hose come in handy). I feed trout pellets as a main source of food but will throw in a few minnows or fish heads on occasion. It's not pretty, but it works for me.
    Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus