Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,391

0 members and 2,391 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,162
Threads: 248,599
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Csr112

Thread: Peter Kahl

Thanks

Peter Kahl

So I'm looking to purchase a candy morph and leopard morph from Pete Kahl, since he, I believe originated these morphs. I have texted him (no reply), tried to leave voicemails (mailbox full), emailed him (no replies), and his Facebook page has comments posted with no replies. Does anyone know what's up? Not bad mouthing in any way, just trying to figure out if I should start looking elsewhere. This has been going on for weeks.

Thanks

Re: Peter Kahl

Quote Originally Posted by BornToHerp View Post
    So I'm looking to purchase a candy morph and leopard morph from Pete Kahl, since he, I believe originated these morphs. I have texted him (no reply), tried to leave voicemails (mailbox full), emailed him (no replies), and his Facebook page has comments posted with no replies. Does anyone know what's up? Not bad mouthing in any way, just trying to figure out if I should start looking elsewhere. This has been going on for weeks.
    Have you tried Matt, who works for PK? I think his handle is something like wlcmmt on Fauna Classifieds.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Thanks

His sn is wlcmmtt and his email is Matt@PKreptiles.com

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Chkadii For This Useful Post:

BornToHerp (03-13-2016)

Thanks
    Poor communication is a big turn off for me. There's other breeders to buy from that will get back to you within a day. If it's been weeks, I'd just give up. It only takes minutes to reply to a email, text, or Facebook post. Maybe he's on vacation?

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yodawagon For This Useful Post:

BornToHerp (03-13-2016),SmoothScales (03-13-2016)

Thanks
    I generally don't count weekends, but if it's been weeks... Meh. I'd be looking elsewhere.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kokorobosoi View Post
    I generally don't count weekends, but if it's been weeks... Meh. I'd be looking elsewhere.
    Agree.
    I figure if they won't get back to me re. a potential sale, there is NO WAY I'll get their attention in the event of a problem.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to distaff For This Useful Post:

BornToHerp (03-13-2016)

Thanks

He's always been like this, even before he had a facebook page and you had to email him through his website...sometimes took weeks. You can keep trying, but honestly, if you're only interested because he originated these morphs, who cares? He just so happened to have the right African contacts at the right time, and had the right amount of money to buy imported, unproven morphs at a time when they were far too expensive for most breeders. Besides, he discovered the leopard morph by accident. He was selling Leopard het Pieds for years as "jungle" (i.e. non-genetic weirdo) het Pieds before he realized their potential.

When a morph requires selective breeding, such as pastel boas which are selectively line bred for color, it makes sense to buy from someone who specializes in that line and is known for quality. However, the morphs you're looking at are not line bred. For simple Mendelian mutations like leopard and candy, there's no benefit in buying from the person who discovered the morph. They didn't "create" it, they just discovered it and as a result they MIGHT have a wide selection of combos.

For Mendelian traits, it's totally possible for a small-scale hobbyist with a dozen snakes in their garage to produce an animal equal to or surpassing the quality of what's available from the originator. If a smaller business is more attentive to your questions, or if their animals have better markings, there shouldn't be any question with whom you should choose to do business. Morph Market has over a hundred leopard options right now and I'm sure you can find somebody there who can help you.
    Last edited by Family Jewels; 03-13-2016 at 09:24 PM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Family Jewels For This Useful Post:

BornToHerp (03-13-2016),distaff (03-13-2016)