Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,363

1 members and 2,362 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

D3rv (47)

» Stats

Members: 75,202
Threads: 248,612
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, CUGrad99

Threaded View

Thanks
    Thanked 9,740 Times in 3,879 Posts

Re: Finally - 5 years late: An introduction to Cleo, Carra, and Kayla

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    The Geckos have been doing fine, except for Cleo. She had a scab or some beginnings of mouth rot on her top lip. I gently removed it with a q-tip as she didn't seem to want to eat. That didn't seem to bother her, and after, she still fasted.

Nothing serious, but they tend to fast certain times of the year, and that's okay. Kayla fasted for about a month and started eating again recently, but not exactly devouring her food, but maintaining weight. Carra has been pretty consistently eating like a pig, but also took a week or so off a month or so ago. Cleo on the other hand, has not really been eating for a couple of months. She will occasionally pick and there is a little poop now and again. She's drinking and leaves urine/urate, and has not lost any dramatic weight at all and still has a fat tail.

If offered, the only thing I could get her to eat was wax worms, but I feed those sparingly as they are fatty and Gecko Crack!

I offered canned crickets the other day, which Carra loves when wiggled on tongs, and Cleo seemed interested, but didn't take.

As a final resort to try to get her to eat, I offered her a Pro Bugs Eco Fresh Grasshopper. They are expensive, but fresh sealed and both Frank and Toref like them. I shook it on my fingers and she tasted it with her tongue, and then grabbed and devoured one today.

She does not seem egg bound and again, has a fat tail and seem fine otherwise. She would always eat the wax worms. Not sure if she's just picky in her old age (7 years), or what, but she loved that grasshopper. I ordered some more and a few other Pro Bugs and canned items. Maybe variety is what she needs, or something different? Dubai and mealworms are doing it for her right now.

Anyway, I am relieved, although I was never too worried. I also wanted others to know there are options out there.

I would not count on LG's eating canned/fresh sealed insects as a regular diet. They like the movement usually. However, it can be a nice supplement. Toref (monitor) and Frank (BTS) are both predators and scavengers and eat anything. LG's and other geckos tend to go on movement and like live. Ferry (Chewie), who loves insects of all kinds, and eats powder/gel diet, will not touch canned or fresh sealed insects.
    I spoke too soon. Cleo threw up the grasshopper. Not the first time she's thrown up a big meal, but I am frustrated.

I ordered an assortment of life insects including hornworms, phoenix worms, and wax worms. I also ordered nutribac to dust them with. Let's see if I can get her back to eating.

In the meantime, I am not too worried, still, as she has yet to lose and substantial weight, and Kayla is on and then off food of late as well. Carra is the only one devouring anything I put in front of her.

I'll keep everyone in the loop.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-17-2019)