Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,037

0 members and 2,037 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,162
Threads: 248,599
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Csr112
    Thanks

Happy Ball python and loud music?

Happy Ball python and loud music?

I’m on a roll today so this is definitely one question I must ask as I plan my next move and Roxanne’s next enclosure.

I’m a big dood with a big laugh and I love loud music. I know with other pets I’ve always condition them young to deal with myself, studio sessions and usually crank noisy underground music and the television whenever I can. I’m loud.

When I finish my house refurbish project I’ll definitely be able to keep her somewhere she’d feels quiet and safe I started- But with so many issues it will be a while before I am in a large comy home when my music comes out!. I’ll have plenty of room to keep her away from the equipment and turntables if I must are but do BP’s, Even the really happy mellow ‘do whatever you want with me’ kind do they find this torturous?

Since she’s so young I’ve been keeping very chill but if I wanted to display her in a semi social vinyl listening room can that be conditioned to ignore music vibrations and whatnot.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,945 Times in 11,918 Posts
    When I play loud music, especially stuff that has more bass, the snakes will be looking around like "what's up?" They're mostly deaf, but they're thought to have limited "hearing" & definitely are able to FEEL vibrations from music. (If you put your hand on their enclosure, glass or plastic, you'll feel the vibrations too. )

I suspect that your snake pals will learn (in time) to ignore your noise, but if I had a new snake- especially one that hasn't eaten for you yet, I'd be most careful about that until they're settled in, & if you can, expose them gradually so they learn there's no big deal. I would not house snakes right next to any electronic equipment or speakers. (Also avoid keeping them near windows, partly for drafts, but especially for sunlight coming in with the potential overheating at some times of day.)
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

D-.No (10-05-2022),GoingPostal (10-05-2022),Homebody (10-05-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,392 Times in 463 Posts
    I'd be very cautious with exposure to loud music, especially anything at the lower soundwave ranges. Snakes are sensitive to vibration transmitted through the ground, as this helps them locate prey. But they also hear soundwaves transmitted through the air FAR better than most people originally believed - including being able to hear our voices. They have a complete (and complex) inner ear structure similar to ours. They just lack external ears.

A musician/composer was kind enough to make a video for Lori Torrini demonstrating what human voices likely sound like to snakes based on what we know about the soundwave range they can perceive. He recorded human voices, then added a filter set for the frequency range known to be audible to snakes. Video linked below. The segment on snake hearing starts at 5:59.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akse...el=LoriTorrini
    Last edited by Caitlin; 10-05-2022 at 11:22 AM.
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python 'Ziggy'
    1.0 Bredl's Python 'Calcifer'
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 'Mara'
    1.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boas 'Paco' and 'Frida'
    2.0 Dumeril's Boas 'Gyre' and 'Titan'
    1.0 Stimson's Python 'Jake'
    1.1 Children's Pythons 'Miso' and 'Ozzy'
    1.0 Anthill Python 'Cricket'
    1.0 Plains Hognose 'Peanut'
    1.1 Rough-scaled Sand Boas 'Rassi' and 'Kala'
    1.0 Ball Python (BEL) 'Sugar'
    1.0 Gray-banded Kingsnake 'Nacho'
    1.0 Green Tree Python (Aru) 'Jade'

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Caitlin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-05-2022),D-.No (10-05-2022),Homebody (10-05-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,906 Times in 2,997 Posts

Re: Happy Ball python and loud music?

I read somewhere that snakes don’t ‘hear’ as such but hear/feel certain vibrations ?!

Oddly enough years ago when I used a portable nebuliser to get some diluted F10 into a snake tank to treat an respiratory infection …. at the end of every 20 session the Royal Python was always tightly wrapped around the vibrating nebuliser !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Homebody (10-10-2022)

Thanks
    I’ve had reptiles in the past that were very vibration/sound sensitive. Since BP‘s are pretty docile and I got her when she was a baby I’m being cautious to introducing what will eventually be our norm. But there is no doubt she hears me coming, I’m sorry there’s no doubt she feels me coming. Interesting about the nebulizer. I should get her own little subwoofer maybe she wants to boogie- lol

Thanks
    Thanked 19,945 Times in 11,918 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by D-.No View Post
    I’ve had reptiles in the past that were very vibration/sound sensitive. Since BP‘s are pretty docile and I got her when she was a baby I’m being cautious to introducing what will eventually be our norm. But there is no doubt she hears me coming, I’m sorry there’s no doubt she feels me coming. Interesting about the nebulizer. I should get her own little subwoofer maybe she wants to boogie- lol
    On the other hand, maybe his snake was trying to kill the nebulizer? We'll never know for sure.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (10-11-2022),Spicey (10-10-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    On the other hand, maybe his snake was trying to kill the nebulizer? We'll never know for sure.
    They be like “Will this thing ever die? I’m gonna need some time to figure out how to swallow this thing!”
    😂😂😂

12. The Following User Says Thank You to D-.No For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-10-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by D-.No View Post
    They be like “Will this thing ever die? I’m gonna need some time to figure out how to swallow this thing!”

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Fair point