Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,595

1 members and 2,594 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Aag2019 (31)

» Stats

Members: 75,202
Threads: 248,610
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, CUGrad99

View Poll Results: Does your snake love you?

Voters
1669. You may not vote on this poll
  • I know my snake loves me!

774 46.38%
  • I know my snake doesn't care. It does not feel emotions.

895 53.62%

Threaded View

Thanks

Re: I think my snake loves me

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I agree. Not based on any official study, but just my experience of many years living with & knowing so many snakes. And seeing that they remember & trust me, even when not handled often, & that trust carries over to others when I've shared them, even at the vet's office. None of my snakes have ever bit anyone else once tame with me- I'm not calling it love- more like trust- feeling safe. And it makes sense to me- in the wild, they learn their way around & learn where they are safe from predators- when they're captive pets, we're part of their environment that they learn to trust. If things change around them, they're instinctively unsettled until they learn they're still safe.

I do remember reading that snakes that are rehomed are more likely to get sick- ie. their immune system responds to stress much as ours does- stress negatively affects health. That's why anytime I get a new snake, I try to treat them like a newborn in the ICU- lots of "TLC" while they settle in, & hands off for a while. New snakes- whether shipped from a breeder or from a store or an expo- have often been thru a LOT & exposed to other diseases along the way- so you want them to remain healthy & have their immune system work as well as possible.
    i’ve only had 1 non-arachnid/non-snake animal, which was my childhood dog, who was a female pure bred chow chow and i did research once and saw that she as an adult dog had the same cognitive and intellectual abilities of a human child aged 3-5 years old - so it’s like with that, combined with observable behavior that we know eg: how Cuban boas will hunt like velociraptors for bats in caves or how retics will construct nests or how king cobras will mark their territories and recognize the markings of other snakes - i truly think their much more “conscious” than we often think - makes me wonder how things could be if we explored that more because another thing i think about is how our behavior effects their behavior and how if we act all closed off because we assume their mindless instinct machines how that probably adversely effects the relationship between keeper and snake
    het for nothing but groovy

2. The Following User Says Thank You to YungRasputin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-28-2023)