Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,147

3 members and 3,144 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

zacharynay (18)

» Stats

Members: 75,114
Threads: 248,554
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, kindred_of_rot
    Thanks

Which one to build?

I found two rack designs and I didn't know which one I should make...

Appearantly my parents dont mind me getting more ball pythons to start my very frist breeding projects as long as I pay for it! My dad is willing to buy the materials for the racks, but I have to buy the heating and helix.. and the actual snakes.... -sigh- We all know how long it takes to save up for that stuff with a crappy teenager job that I'll have in a couple months. Lol. Well I'm very young, so I guess it's good to start saving the dough now.

I found these two designs that I found by searching! w00t! One I found at bailey reptiles, and the other one I found randomly on google. The one by bailey is all whitewood, and the other one is some type of shelving and melamine.
    Here are links:
    http://www.baileyreptiles.com/cb70rack.html
    http://www.reptilianprojects.com/ladderrack.html

This is going to be a great father daughter project! =D

Thanks

Re: Which one to build?

Both are good designs...in what is called an open rack design. Meaning the room needs to be maintained at a somewhat elevated temp to make sure the temp gradient is maintained in the tank. How high to keep the room will determine which rack is best.

Tim's uses belly heat which offers a better heat distribution when you have a cooler room (say a bed room you are living in)

The ladder rack is easier to build but uses back heat which is good if the room is maintained at 80 + degrees as it won't offer the temp gradient as far forward in the tub.

And just to throw another option here is another rack design...it is more long style then tall. http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...ight=diy+large (same idea as Tim's )
    Sean

Thanks

That's awesome!! I'll definately consider that one. You did a VERY nice job.

Thanks

What ever you build I would put it on casters/ wheels. It makes moving them around a lot easier.
    Trey

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 618 Posts

Saucey,
    The first 2 racks that I built, I kept in my house. They were built prior to my building a dedicated snake room. They worked great in the house, but needed to be sprayed twice a week to maintain a good humidity. The new design that I have been using (the one on the website with the expanded PVC tops) retains the humidity very well for a week long period. I think if you used the expanded PVC tops as shown on my website, they would retain humidity and heat very well for a rack kept in the house. If you or your father has any questions, or needs any advice or help, please feel free to e-mail, call or PM me.

I know that saving up for the snakes can seem slow at times, but I think it will make you appreciate and enjoy them that much more. I am always glad to see younger people coming in to the hobby.

Good Luck in whatever you do,
    Tim Bailey
    (A.K.A. MBM or Art Pimp)
    www.baileyreptiles.com
    The Blog

Thanks

Here's another site with some additional ideas:

http://arbreptiles.com/cages/cages.shtml

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by muddoc
    Saucey,
    The first 2 racks that I built, I kept in my house. They were built prior to my building a dedicated snake room. They worked great in the house, but needed to be sprayed twice a week to maintain a good humidity. The new design that I have been using (the one on the website with the expanded PVC tops) retains the humidity very well for a week long period. I think if you used the expanded PVC tops as shown on my website, they would retain humidity and heat very well for a rack kept in the house. If you or your father has any questions, or needs any advice or help, please feel free to e-mail, call or PM me.

I know that saving up for the snakes can seem slow at times, but I think it will make you appreciate and enjoy them that much more. I am always glad to see younger people coming in to the hobby.

Good Luck in whatever you do,
    Thanks! I'm definately the only girl in my school who is obsessed with ball pythons.

I actually was thinking of the PVC because of the humidity. Unfortunately I would have to keep it in the laundry room, Unless I put it in my room.. which is very VERY small, and I wouldnt be able to walk around with all the crap I have laying around, LOL! and I can't start building untill we get back from vacation (july 21) I'll definately PM you if I need advice or help... which I probably will, lol! BTW, can those hold adult ball pythons as well as medium sized ones?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 618 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Saucey_do
    can those hold adult ball pythons as well as medium sized ones?
    Yes they can. I have a couple of 3000 gram females that reside in the CB-70s just fine. I have a friend that has got a 7000 gram female in a CB-70. The 7000 grammer is a bit cramped, but she is a rarity in Ball Pythons anyway. I believe that a typical Ball Pyhton can spend it's entire adult life in a CB-70. Hope that helps.
    Tim Bailey
    (A.K.A. MBM or Art Pimp)
    www.baileyreptiles.com
    The Blog

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by muddoc
    Yes they can. I have a couple of 3000 gram females that reside in the CB-70s just fine. I have a friend that has got a 7000 gram female in a CB-70. The 7000 grammer is a bit cramped, but she is a rarity in Ball Pythons anyway. I believe that a typical Ball Pyhton can spend it's entire adult life in a CB-70. Hope that helps.
    Alright! Cause I heard somewhere that the CB-70's are too cramped for adults, but that definately makes me feel better. Thanks alot!!

Thanks

I am always amazed at the talent we have on this forum!

Those DIY instructions and pics were just awesome! I have now bookmarked this thread for future reference. Thanks all!
    Alice

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." Herm Albright