Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,471

0 members and 1,471 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Kaiju (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,149
Threads: 248,590
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, koala
    Thanks

"How-to" high humidity tub- Dial up beware!

Hey guys, I promised a "how-to" of the way I do my tubs. Feel free to do them any way you like. The advantage of tubs is they hold heat and humidity amazing! They are also the cheapest caging you can buy.

Here's most of what you'll need. This is one of the tubs I built last night, I didn't take pics until this afternoon so some imagination is required. This is a rubbermaid 12Qt.

Snake is optional, my male IJ wanted to say hello, then bite me.
    This photo consist of some PVC, either pre-cut by you or a full pipe. This is just what I had left over and from the tub. I really like to use 1/4 inch piping and 1/4 inch bolts. Take a 1/4 inch drill bit and drill the ends of the piping after its cut to proper length and the bolt will fit very snug. This way no nuts inside to cause problems. However, this tub is from 1/2 PVC and 1/4 bolts so nuts were needed. I also like one 1 inch bolt and one 1/2 inch bolt to make removal easier.

A spare piece of PVC (or a pencil) is needed along with a marker.

Find a point you'll recognize on the tub and about the depth you want then mark the stick with the marker so each is pretty even. Most tubs have a little support piece on the side, I use those.

Find where you want and mark your tub. Mine has already been drilled so I couldn't mark. I do 2 on each side then one in the middle a little lower so it offers support to the others.

Now you'll need a drill and a basic set of bits. I like to start off with a small bit (5/16 I think) and make holes to reduce the chance of cracking the plastic. This small bit is also what you'll want to make your air holes with. I put 3 in each end corner where it's thickest. Snakes don't need much air circulation. You want these on the sides and not the tops because it holds humidity best.

Once the holes are big enough for your bolts put those in, then you cut perches.

Now off to an important part, Heating! I just got a rack but I've used UTH pads and those are common so I'll go with those. Mine are fairly old and don't really stick anymore.

You can see I have it duct taped to a piece of wood because the UTH will discolor carpet. If you're not on carpet you're pretty safe. On top of the tub is a rheostat. Very important, it controls heat and helps reduce the chance of a fire significantly.

Just plug the bad boy up and give the snake a water bowl and you're done!

Hopefully this was helpful. Any questions feel free to ask. If this set up doesn't work for you or malfunctions I'm truly sorry. However, I will not be held responsible in any way. Use my post at your own risk.

Thanks

Re: "How-to" high humidity tub- Dial up beware!

i'm really new to boas so forgive my ignorance but, for those types of boas is the humidity supposed to be visible on the walls of the tubs? i'm having problems keeping the humidity up in my cages and the only way i can keep it anywhere where it's supposed to be is to have it stuck on the walls. do i need a fogger?
    1.0 box turtle

http://www.myspace.com/fishlips88

Thanks

To have water stuck on the walls? If you're using a glass tank I'd suggest covering the top with a hot towel. You can set it about 1/2 inch or so from the dome light. What type of critter are you keeping that needs more humidity and what type of tank.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
    To have water stuck on the walls? If you're using a glass tank I'd suggest covering the top with a hot towel. You can set it about 1/2 inch or so from the dome light. What type of critter are you keeping that needs more humidity and what type of tank.
    i'm a little worried about a fire hazard as far as towels go. i don't understand why the foil isn't doing the trick, how long does it usually take for a hot towel to dry out next to a heat lamp? it's for a ball, but i'm getting a boa in a few days and i'm worried i won't be able to meet his needs for moisture.
    1.0 box turtle

http://www.myspace.com/fishlips88

Thanks

I ran back to my room to take some quick pics. The first looks like it's on the towel and second show's it's not. It takes around 2 days. A hot towel every afternoon or every other day should be fine. I tried wrapping my lid in plastic, it didn't work as well as this at all. If you're having humidity issues this won't put a stop to misting, just slow down the drying out process. Lights kill humidity.

Thanks

I have a few suggestions. First instead of using a drill, i find that a soldering iron makes cleaner holes in plastic tubs than a drill! Also i like removable perches so that i dont bother my chondro's too much, and it makes cleaning a breeze, i solder holes for the rod holders and screw them in! Im adding a few photos for you! The rod holders you can get at walmart! Soldering iron at home depot. The perches i use are crape myrtle branches i cut down around my apartment complex late at night (our secret).... Hope this helps.

Thanks

Judd does have a great set up, he posted it on Iherp. The big problem is knowing your wood and what's ok to use. PVC rolls on rod holders. I tried those. You can always come up with something to stop it. A solder seems like a good idea. The Mikita is just handy for me. Thanks for chiming in Judd.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DavidG For This Useful Post:

juddb (01-08-2009)

Thanks

no problem buddy, im here to help!