Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,599

1 members and 2,598 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Menelas (42)

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Chances of going from live to f/t?

Hi, in your honest opinion, what are the chances of an adult snake that is fed live the majority of its life switching it over to f/t? I ask because I simply can't say no to this lesser, but she is reaching adulthood and has been fed live the majority of her life. Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts

Re: Chances of going from live to f/t?

Quote Originally Posted by reno-cg View Post
    Hi, in your honest opinion, what are the chances of an adult snake that is fed live the majority of its life switching it over to f/t? I ask because I simply can't say no to this lesser, but she is reaching adulthood and has been fed live the majority of her life. Thanks
    I believe that if the f/t is done done right, thawing and heating with a blow dryer, it may be an easy switch, but then again se may be a live only feeder, and you may have a battle of wills trying to switch over. or.... she may take right to it
    Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

3. The Following User Says Thank You to llovelace For This Useful Post:

reno-cg (06-01-2010)

Thanks

The ~3 year old BP I got about a week ago who, as far as I know has been fed live mice his whole life, ate two f/t mice for me last night. He hadn't been fed in a while and I think he was pretty hungry. He wasn't _exactly_ interested in the first one in the beginning, but he kinda figured out "hey, food" and took it. I let them both thaw in hot water, next to his "feeding container" (a shoebox with holes in the lid) for about 15-20 minutes, dried them with a hair dryer for 30 seconds or so and then presented with tongs.

Don't give up hope! If she's hungry, she might just give in and eat it for you. Good luck!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luckycharm318 For This Useful Post:

reno-cg (06-01-2010),SERPENT_MASTERS (06-04-2010)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

It's not impossible and if you happen to try to switch her after she lay eggs (if you breed) her I would VERY likely.

Each year my females go back and forth between live and F/T without any problem and female after laying tend to be voracious and willing to eat anything.
    Deborah Stewart

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

reno-cg (06-01-2010)

Thanks

I find most of the time it's not very hard at all, I've switched many whole-life live eaters to F/T. You just have to do it right, and be patient.
    Most people who say you can't, I find, haven't tried very hard or they want to breed them right away and don't want to wait for them to switch.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A.VinczeBPs For This Useful Post:

reno-cg (06-01-2010),SERPENT_MASTERS (06-04-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by A.VinczeBPs View Post
    I find most of the time it's not very hard at all, I've switched many whole-life live eaters to F/T. You just have to do it right, and be patient.
    Most people who say you can't, I find, haven't tried very hard or they want to breed them right away and don't want to wait for them to switch.
    any advice on how you do it would be great. I have a couple I'd like to switch to F/T.

they just shy away from the rat if its not alive. I warm up the rat with a hair dryer , but they show no interest in it at all. toss in a live one and its over in seconds.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pliskin View Post
    any advice on how you do it would be great. I have a couple I'd like to switch to F/T.

they just shy away from the rat if its not alive. I warm up the rat with a hair dryer , but they show no interest in it at all. toss in a live one and its over in seconds.
    The zombie rat dance...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pliskin View Post

Zombie dance, make sure it's over 100 heat, be prepared to be denied the first couple tries until they get hungry enough. Try a small live, and a F/T right after. Dip in chicken broth. Tons of ways to go, you just have to try hard enough and wait it out. If you can't be willing to wait, again, not willing to really try.

Thanks

I always do the zombie dance, doesn't help. they just shrink away and go back into their hide.

chicken broth , eh?
    might try that.

that's why I love my boa, she eats everything! hell, wave a car tire in front of her and I'm sure she'd try to eat it.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

depending on how old they are, some tough love might be in order. If they are older and can handle a few weeks-months with no food then simply stop giving them live. If they are hungry they will eat.

I have also heard of people pre-scenting with a live rodent and offering the dead one. Some people even go as far as to keep the rodent in a closed transparent container inside the snakes habitat. That way it sees the prey item and is eager to eat. Then you wave the f/t at them.

It has been my experience that it is not that hard to switch from live to f/t and back again. I have switched a few times and no one has had a problem taking either.
    ~Steffe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast