Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,268

4 members and 1,264 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,578
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Gross feeding stories?

I had a rather disgusting feeding event this past weekend. I've seen my share of gross things, but this is near the top.

I'm going along feeding my snakes F/T rats and I can always tell which ones are going to strike fast and which ones I have to do the rat dance. One of my larger females was chomping at the bit for her meal, so I was ready.

I grab the rat behind the neck and proceed to open the bin and dangle it for her, when she strikes just like I expected. The only thing is that I was still holding onto the rat... body. My snake completely decapitated her and she proceeded to (try) to strangle the life out of the head. I didn't know what to do so I just placed the body next to her hoping that she would get a clue and finish eating the entire meal.

No such luck. I came back about an hour later to a decapitated rat body. I tried dangling it in front of her because she was clearly hungry, but I guess the mangled corpse even grossed her out. I tried feeding the thing to my other snakes that didn't eat yet, but they would have none of it as well.

So I did what any snake enthusiast with multiple snakes would do... I fed it to my BCI.

-Lawrence

Sahuarita, AZ...about 30 miles SW of Tucson
    Thanks

Re: Gross feeding stories?

...thats all I got.....
    Michelle
    Lets just say it has advanced to ....way too much to list

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Eewwwwwwwww.....

I allowed a f/t mouse to sit on a warming surface a little too long. I knew I was in trouble when I noticed the belly was a bit swollen...but I went ahead and fed it off anyhow. Well....the snake grabs it enthusiastically, and the thing just explodes. Mouse guts draped over the rim of the water bowl and slimy goo all over the paper and the snake. Needless to say it reeked abominably! 'Twas the nastiest thing I've personally experienced with my own snake collection.

I ended up throwing that water bowl away.
    -- Judy

Thanks

While attempting to feed my ball python a frozen medium sized rat, I have two disgusting stories.

1. I picked the rat up by the tail. The skin on the tail came off, and you could see the muscle and bone.

2. The rat was so squishy, that it sunk in on its self. Literally, and it stunk.
    ~!* Mackenzie R. *!~
    (Middletown, Ohio, USA)
    ~ 1.0.0 python regius "*Ozzy*". ~

Formerly known as " Sadistic Serpent "

Thanks

I've had some explode, or at least leak some blood.
    I've had one strike so hard they rip off tails....but have yet to ever seen a decapitation.
    Ewwww, hahaha, must have been quite an eye-full!

Thanks

Haha. I've left mice in front of the heater too long before, and ended up with a room that smelled a little like cooked bacon, along with two adult puffy brown gooey mice, and one fuzzy. It was... bad.
    I've also had my snake strike, coil, and just leave the mouse/ASF in her hide before. I didn't find those until a day or two after, when the smell hit.
    Once I left a dead fuzzy in the euthanizing chamber because I have paper towel in there and it was white. I found that after a week, when I couldn't find out where that smell was coming from.
    Oh, and since I breed my own rodents, I've found a large amount of dead rodents in their bins in varying stages of putridity.
    You could say I've become accustomed to death, haha.
    Just 0.1 normal BP, 1.0 mojave, 0.1 California King, 0.1 Saharan sand boa, ~20 hermit crabs, a Patriot crab, 5.0 rats, and a herd of mice and ASFs

Thanks

yea one of my first attemps at feeding he tore of the head becuse I got the pinkie a little to warm and it was pretty nasty
    I also offered the rest of the body and he refused I think there is something about the head

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JLC View Post
    Eewwwwwwwww.....

I allowed a f/t mouse to sit on a warming surface a little too long. I knew I was in trouble when I noticed the belly was a bit swollen...but I went ahead and fed it off anyhow. Well....the snake grabs it enthusiastically, and the thing just explodes. Mouse guts draped over the rim of the water bowl and slimy goo all over the paper and the snake. Needless to say it reeked abominably! 'Twas the nastiest thing I've personally experienced with my own snake collection.

I ended up throwing that water bowl away.
    Had the exact same thing happen! It was awful, and the worst part was that the snake went ahead and ate the front half of the rat, then turned around and ate the back half, too!

One thing about it, that particular snake has NEVER refused a meal.

I don't think I would have minded if he'd refused that one...
    Ball Pythons
    1.0 Normal "Draccy"
    0.2 Normal "Matika", "Lara Croft"
    1.0 Lesser Cinny "Thor"

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Seneschal View Post
    Had the exact same thing happen! It was awful, and the worst part was that the snake went ahead and ate the front half of the rat, then turned around and ate the back half, too!

One thing about it, that particular snake has NEVER refused a meal.

I don't think I would have minded if he'd refused that one...
    Haha! My snake ate his mouse-'splosion too. I remember thinking, "That just can't feel right as it goes down..." Personally though, I was glad for at least that much of the mess to disappear without my having to touch it!
    -- Judy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xdeus View Post
    So I did what any snake enthusiast with multiple snakes would do... I fed it to my BCI.
    That's what I like about them. If it smells like food and wiggles, they are on it.

I've only had the skin come off the tail once or twice and a few squirt blood from the noses and get smeared around...
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast