Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,633

1 members and 1,632 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,568
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
    Thanks

Just got my first RTB!

Just picked her up tonight.

About three weeks ago I went to a reptile show and picked up an hatchling Albino corn for $12!

This past monday I went to get feeders for my snakes (the albino and a ball) and I held my first Brum. It was about 3 feet long and far mor active than my ball. Then I was hooked. I wanted a bigger snake but not quite as big as a burm so I settled on a RTB.

Today I was calling around to pet stores to find any that had RTB in stock. I found one and somehow it came up that I had an Albino, and she offered me $25 for her and to sell me the RTB for $69-$25=$51, couldn't pass it up! She mentioned that she had hatchlings that were 3 weeks old, and that she was force feeding them!

I drove to the store and it was horrible... They had a heat rock in there for heat! And two balls mixed in with the 5 RTB!

She took them out and I looked over them all, and they actually looked good. I picked one and went on my way.

My question is the force feeding. I have heard about it, and I don't really want to force him any more, she said he was just fed. I put him in his tank and going to leave him alone for a week and then try a live pinky...Good idea, something else I should do?

Thanks

Re: Just got my first RTB!

She most likely was force feeding them due to the stress of the conditions you described. RTBs are know for a killer feeding responce all 3 of mine are killers. Leave it alone for a week keeping the temps and humidity right and I would guess he will come around and start eating. Force feeding should be a last resort since it can be very tramatic on the animal, since he has feed several times you have some time to work with him. Unless he is really small he should be able to take a fuzzy/sm adult mouse with no trouble.
    -Sean
    Mazdaspeed 3, yeah its silly fast!

Thanks

Thanks. Thats what I was thinking, I have read of balls being picky (mine isn't thank god) She said she had them for three weeks, so they were force fed three times. I'm hoping that after a week he will settle in and be ok.

She was feeding pinkys, but he is a pretty good size...I'll get one of both next week and see if he likes either of them.

Thanks

Drdingo 21,
    Try offering it some rat hoppers to start. I think the fur on the hopper can stimulate a stronger feeding response. This got an immeadiate response from my boa. Don't worry about the "Force feeding" thing and please do not try to attempt (sounds like your not). Your snake will eat once it gets adjusted to its surroundings. Good luck and congradulations on your new boa. P.S. Your boa might get fiesty at times so I would recommend a snake hook even for the babies in case this happens. In most cases it seems they will relax once removed from their enclosure so don't be turned off by their "wild behavoir".
    4est
    1 adult male Ball Python (King Tut), 1 adult Female Corn Snake (Cleopatra), 1 juvenile Green Two-Tailed Iguana (Tommy Two-tails), 1 Common Boa(Ghengis Kahn)

Thanks

Thank you. I heard they can get fiesty, do people use a snake hook for them?
    Like I said she before, she is apretty good size, I'm not too sure how big a rat pup is, and a pinky didn't make and kind of bulge in her stomach... Should I try the smallest adult mosue I can find?

Right now hes in a 10 gallon tank. I'm trying to let him getting adjusted and eating normally. Then moving her to a custom enclosure.

I held her at the pet store and when I first put her in the tank, and she seem very easy going. As soon as I put her down she looked around and then went into the hide.

Thanks

I would definatetly give him plenty of time to settle in. A fecal at a reptile vet would also be a good idea, considering the conditions he was housed in. I would not force feed at all. Red tails are known for having an excellent feeding response.
    Check out my gallery! www.schlyne.deviantart.com I am not really active on forums anymore, but I am on facebook.
    Please Click the Dragon eggs/hatchlings!

All of my Dragons can be seen here http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/48959

Thanks

Babies can be a little fiesty but that normaly goes away after a few handling sessions. I just a snake hook on all my snakes to take them out of there enclosures. lets the know its not feeding time and keeps my blood on the inside.
    -Sean
    Mazdaspeed 3, yeah its silly fast!

Thanks

Alright. I just went and looked at her again, and I think her head is too samll for a adult mouse..She looks just barely too small.

She knocked the branch over, and she was curled up in the hide, so I opened the cage to fix the branch and she slithered out and started climbing my arm. While she was there I noticed the bottom of her stomach would fold over itself when she moved, I would take that to mean she is under fed. I think Sunday ( I feed my other snake then) I will try a fed and if she doesn't take then I'll wait a bit longer. She seems like a very easy going snake and adventures.

Thanks

i know her head looks too small for a mouse but snakes can take BIG prey items at times(not encouraging a huge meal lol) even for a 3 week old baby who is a lil underfed i think she can handle a small mouse or a rat pup oh and congrats on th new addition.

if you wanna see rat sizes go to www.rodentpro.com they show all the sizes for mice and rats.

Brian
    Brian
    1.0 ball python-Reeses(u know the candy)
    0.1 sumatran blood python-shai (i miss you)
    1.0 JCP- spaz

Thanks

Thanks. I know they can take a bigger meal. Ill try a little adult mouse and if it fails it will go to my ball. Thanks for the link