Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,068

3 members and 3,065 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Post Stopping imports(and a Couple questions)

Has anything been done or is currently being done to try and stop the vast importation of bps from the wild? Even the harvesting of eggs i my opinion is taking from the wild.

I know that all of our snakes ancestors came from the wild but don't u think its time we stop importing now that we seem to have a decent stock in captivity? I know the importer/exporters over in Africa wouldn't like that 2 happen but i mean wow the vast majority of animals sent over here to just perish is ridiculus. do any of u know the exact #'s of imports?

And as a future breeder(hopefully in the next 10-15 years as a hobby mostly) stopping the importation would also raise prices for all bps and hopefully get rid of the Jimmy's out there looking 2 make a quick dollar. and hopefully strengthen the bp hobby.

What do u guys/gals think?

P.S.*- this is to all u breeders... has anyone every purchased a high price morph from u just to have as a pet and not 2 breed in the future?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Thumbs up Re: Stopping imports(and a Couple questions)

It will never happen as its a big money position.Yes thousands of ball pythons are imported every year,some die some dont.Another reason why importing will never stop is where do you think some the new morphs come from(Africa).Now onto your breeders question.I do know of a few people who have bought ball python morphs just for pets.
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

Re: Stopping imports(and a Couple questions)

Quote Originally Posted by KalonjiBP
    I know that all of our snakes ancestors came from the wild but don't u think its time we stop importing now that we seem to have a decent stock in captivity? I know the importer/exporters over in Africa wouldn't like that 2 happen but i mean wow the vast majority of animals sent over here to just perish is ridiculus. do any of u know the exact #'s of imports?

And as a future breeder(hopefully in the next 10-15 years as a hobby mostly) stopping the importation would also raise prices for all bps and hopefully get rid of the Jimmy's out there looking 2 make a quick dollar. and hopefully strengthen the bp hobby.
    The BP hobby wouldn't be where it is today if it wasn't for the importation of ball pythons that bring with them fresh genetics. If stopped, you bring a halt to possible new unfound genetic mutations.

I have to ask, the vast majority imported die? Any research to back that up?

If so, I'd like to see it.

Unfortaunately the way I see it is that yes, it would raise the prices on what is currently in the country, but it won't end the Jimmy's and it puts a cap on genetic discoveries waiting to be found.

I'm not a fan of the way they are imported and that to me is the issue, not so much the importing.
    Scott Collien

Sputnik's Reptiles

Banned
    Thanks

That will never happen. How do you think these importers/exporters and breeders make thier money?

Thanks

i agree with scott, alot of it is in the way some importers treat the snakes. with the proper care imports could be just as good as cb babies(in general). imo, people shopping for the best deal wanting the cheapest prices has fueled the demand for imports even more. alot of people will buy that 20.00 baby and not even shop anywhere else.

vaughn

Thanks

When would it stop, in my opinion..? When they're extinct in the wild.
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ginevive
    When would it stop, in my opinion..? When they're extinct in the wild.
    That's not going to happen.

Ball pythons are an internationally protected species. Their export and import is controlled by an organization called CITES. CITES is responsible for monitoring the wild populations of ball pythons can controlling the number of ball pythons that can be exported from Africa and imported into other countries around the world. These animals cannot be moved across borders without inspections and permits to protect them and their wild populations.

Stopping the exportation of ball pythons from Africa would be a bad thing for ball pythons at this point. The ruralization of Western Africa is causing a population explosion for ball pythons that is turning them into a nuisance animal. If the exports were to stop, the alternative would be for the governments in Ghana, Togo, etc to control their local ball python populations through other means ... which would likely be hunts, burnings, or worse (think rattle snake round ups but with ball pythons). The large scale exportation of ball pythons within the limits set by CITES which monitors their wild population keeps the numbers of ball pythons in the wild at a very healthy and very reasonable limit in order to protect the species as a whole.

Not to mention that the ball python export business is a huge industry over in Africa that employees many people and puts food on the table of a large number of families as well as supplies money to the governments of the West African countries the snakes are being exported from. It is in their best interest to make sure that the business (and money) continues to thrive for as long as possible.

No one is going to let ball pythons go extinct in the wild due to exportation.

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

If the animal doesn't have value to the people in Africa(i.e. no one will buy it live for the pet trade) then it is just meat. I believe somewhere on this board is a survey that stated that there were MORE ball pythons in the wild than before.
    And if the pet price of ball pythons was driven up by stopping the import the Jimmy's would INCREASE, hoping to make a quick buck. Not decrease. How many people can make money breeding normal ball pythons right now? Not many.
    I'd like to see all imported animals conditions and care improved.
    Wolfy

They call me Emilius LOL Emilio's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,407 Times in 1,004 Posts

I have no problem with Bp's being imported , but I definitely think their standard's should be raised so the Bp's can have a better chance to survive.
    Absolutely obsessed with ball pythons!

http://www.facebook.com/VillarinoReptiles?ref=hl

Villarino reptiles Morph market

Contacts

Villarinoreptiles@gmail.com
    Or tex 7868774281

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Wysocki
    The ruralization of Western Africa is causing a population explosion for ball pythons that is turning them into a nuisance animal.
    Why would they be a nuisance animal? I think I read somewhere that the people appreciate the growing Ball population because it is keeping the rodent population down due to the increased farming in that region. Given a choice between hundreds of Balls or thousands of rats, I think most people would vote for the Balls...

-Lawrence

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast