Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,655

1 members and 1,654 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,108
Threads: 248,549
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, charcharbinks
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

A Tale of Two Hides (OR How Small is Too Small???) (DU Warning)

When I was getting ready to buy my first BP, I figured I'd be getting a little baby. I started setting up her enclosure beforehand. I got two little plastic flower-pot-bottoms and cut holes in the sides for hides. I also thought it would be cool to have some empty space beneath the water bowl for a third hide. So I chose a small dog-dish that had openings on the sides and some empty space underneath it.

When I actually got my girl, she was already about 360g...not a tiny baby. I switched to bigger flower-pot-bottoms, but kept the water bowl, even though I knew there was no way she'd fit under it. Oh well.

Her first day in her new home...exploring....she pokes her little head under the opening, but its obvious (you'd think!) that she can't fit that big ol' body of hers in there:

She backed right out and eventually made her way into the "proper hides."

But darned if a couple weeks later, I can't find her beneath either of her hides....the waterbowl is tipped up at an angle and she's crammed underneath it! Over time...she learned how to squeeze her whole body under it without tipping it at all! And she LOVED it!

Eventually, I realized the glass tank wasn't going to work, so we switched to a plastic tub and newspaper. Same hides and waterbowl. The waterbowl has to stay on the cool side, otherwise condensation builds up inside and it gets very wet.

Well, that silly snake....she likes that hide SO much that rather than sleep beneath her "normal" warm hide...she would scootch her waterbowl over to the warm side and curl up under it! Needless to say, this made a huge mess that had to be cleaned up right away and her warm, toasty hide moved back to the cool side.

I got the message...and today, I took out one of the flower-pot-bottoms and put in a new waterbowl...with rocks (cleaned and sanitized!) to weigh it down for her...so she can have one on the warm side as well:

Kisasa has gained 200g since she first started cramming herself under that bowl but she still does it...with more grace than ever...

And here is proof for all of you skeptics that want lots of room for your snakes...for all you folks who wonder if your hides are big enough.......

Going.....going......gone........without so much as a ripple in the water.....

I know my tale has been a long one....but I wanted everyone to see, not only how goofy our snakes can be....but just how tight they love their hides!!!
    -- Judy

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JLC For This Useful Post:

Lizardlicks (08-24-2015),nightwolfsnow (08-24-2015)

Thanks

Re: A Tale of Two Hides (OR How Small is Too Small???) (DU Warning)

Haha! Great pics, Judy! She's lookin good, and it never ceases to amaze me what snakes can fit themselves into!
    ~Sheree~

Because Snakes are Beautiful!
    http://www.bluegorgon.com/

4.1 snakes so far (Gomez, Falkor, Ma-tsu, Neptune, Irwin)
    2.1 house rabbits (Daphne, Bowie, Unut)
    0.1 Jeweled Lacerta (Dana)
    In loving memory of Cleo
    1989-2007

Thanks

great pics haha, funny little story too. May I ask why the glass tank didn't work out?

Thanks

:eek: That seems impossible! Crazy...
    flickr
    Reptiles: 0.1 Colombian BCI

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Yup! My big kids still prefer their small bowl hides that they got when they first arrived - granted, the hides basically sit on top of them like little top hats (they can't even fit in them any more) - but they are attached to them, so they get to keep them! LOL

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mm91187
    great pics haha, funny little story too. May I ask why the glass tank didn't work out?
    A couple of reasons: One, the temperatures in the room its in fluctuate too much. Even with a UTH on a t-stat, I couldn't keep the temperature stable enough and it would swing as much as 10 degrees each day...and the "cool" side was always too cold. And Two, I live in Arizona where it is dry dry dry. At first I was able to keep the humidity up because of the type of substrate...but once that completely dried out, humidity became an increasingly difficult thing to maintain.

I might have continued trying to work through all of that....but my sweet girl just quit eating. For two months, she refused everything I offered. One thing I learned from Adam (of 8ballpythons...where I got Kisasa) is that when an otherwise perfectly healthy snake her age suddenly refuses to eat...it's almost always going to be environmental. SOMEthing about her environment was making her feel insecure enough to go on an extended fast.

Whether it was the fluctuating temps, the lights I used to try and keep the cool side warm enough, or the glass walls of her home that made her feel too exposed......I dunno. But it was more important to me that she be happy than it was to keep that lovely enclosure.

Six days after switching her to a plastic tub with minimal "furniture"....she ate. And hasn't stopped eating since.
    -- Judy

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JasonGranger
    :eek: That seems impossible! Crazy...
    I know, right? It's really cool watching her do that...it's like some sort of silly magic trick where she's really disappearing into a big hole in the floor....only I'm quite certain no such hole exists!
    -- Judy

Thanks

I love the going, going, gone pics series. I would never have thought she could fit under there!

I agree with you and Adam about the environmental issues. If a healthy snake has been eating and stops for an extended period (unless its breeding time), it is usually environmental factors IMHO.

Good luck!

Thanks

awesome!

Thanks

Oh that's hilarious Judy! What a goofy girl she is LOL. We have a couple that have perfectly lovely hides but insist on getting between layers of their newspaper substrate. Malachi actually likes to go between his layer of newspaper under the hide so it's rather like a jaunty hat sitting slanted over his newpaper "tent".....goofball snake!
    ~~Joanna~~

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast