Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,194

0 members and 3,194 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,126
Threads: 248,569
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Stephendici
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
    Thanks

How can a cage be too big???

I posted this on the tail of another thread but its been on my mind so I decided to re-post in a new thread...

Basically, my BP is getting almost to the length of the longest dimension of his tank. I've seen alot of posts suggesting that BP's like it cramped. Tail of other thread follows:

I can see liking a cramped AREA but why a cramped overall space? The husbandry guidelines are mostly based on the native habitat but not in this case. It is true they spend the *majority* of their time in small hides but you don't hear much about how much actual territory they cover. I would agree that they probably move about mostly for food which isn't an issue in captivity. But, just because they are mostly sedentary doesn't mean they don't benefit from exercise at all.

It's true: my BP is happy to spend 95% of his time in an area 1/4 the size available to him. BUT....when he does come out to roam he basically has to go in circles. That is when I feel bad for him.
    1.0 Normal BP - "Snakey"
    1.0 Jungle carpet python - "Chewbacca" aka "Chewie"
    0.1 Olive python - "Cleopatra" aka "Cleo"
    0.0.1 Corn - "Husker"
    1.0 Veiled Chameleon - "Kermit"

Thanks

Re: How can a cage be too big???

Yeah I've heard lots of people say they prefer smaller cages... but I think as long as they have some small secure hides that the cage should be as big as possible! Of course this isnt practical for breeders or people with large collections, but with only one or a few as pets... I don't see why a snake wouldnt want more room to roam. And when the're small it would seem best to keep them in a smaller cage just so you can still find them without hunting around. Just like we like our cozy beds to sleep in all night, the snakes like a little cozy hide to sleep in... but I stay up at night and see my snakes patrolling, sometimes making tracks around the edges of the tank, thats when I know I need to either redecorate to make things more interesting, or get a bigger cage. But I like to spoil my babies anyway.

Thanks

weirdbuglady I agree completely. People here are always saying to put them in small cages especially when their young but I disagree. My girl has been in a 33 long since she was a hatchling and loves the space. She has 3 hides in it two regular and one humid. Shes about 3 feet now and the 4 foot cage is starting to look small because shes fairly active. When shes up to 4 feet im going to get her in a 75. She ate regularly when she was a hatchling in the big cage no problem.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bearhart
    I posted this on the tail of another thread but its been on my mind so I decided to re-post in a new thread...

Basically, my BP is getting almost to the length of the longest dimension of his tank. I've seen alot of posts suggesting that BP's like it cramped. Tail of other thread follows:

I can see liking a cramped AREA but why a cramped overall space? The husbandry guidelines are mostly based on the native habitat but not in this case. It is true they spend the *majority* of their time in small hides but you don't hear much about how much actual territory they cover. I would agree that they probably move about mostly for food which isn't an issue in captivity. But, just because they are mostly sedentary doesn't mean they don't benefit from exercise at all.

It's true: my BP is happy to spend 95% of his time in an area 1/4 the size available to him. BUT....when he does come out to roam he basically has to go in circles. That is when I feel bad for him.
    Certain things have been found better to work in captivity as opposed to compared to their natural environments. People have been keeping these snakes for many years now and have found the best methods for having animals thrive in captivity. Even in the wild bps spend most of their time in burrows of the animals they prey upon. These spaces are usually cramped and bps will spend most their time their before searching for another meal.
    ~*Rich
    1.0 100% Het Albino
    1.3 Normal
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Mojave
    1.0 Pastel 100% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel 66% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel PH Goldfinger

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moespeaking
    weirdbuglady I agree completely. People here are always saying to put them in small cages especially when their young but I disagree. My girl has been in a 33 long since she was a hatchling and loves the space. She has 3 hides in it two regular and one humid. Shes about 3 feet now and the 4 foot cage is starting to look small because shes fairly active. When shes up to 4 feet im going to get her in a 75. She ate regularly when she was a hatchling in the big cage no problem.
    Whoa...I have my guy in a 30gallon tank 36x12x12 and that is where he shall stay he is a bit over 3 feet now. But a 75 seems pretty big, if you dont plan on moving anytime soon and have the space for it then go ahead. But i have friends with full grown red tails and keep them in 55gal max.

!| ~ JP ~ |!
    Snakes:
    1.0 Normal Ball Python: Samuel L. Jackson
    1.0 Pastel Red-Tail Boa: Twitch

Thanks

weirdbuglady, moespeaking: that is my reasoning too. In the small times when they choose to actually roam about then I don't see how a very limited area would benefit them.

Spaniard: Yea, the exercise thing was more of a curiousity. I don't doubt they can be healthy in a small area. I'm not suggesting anybody here is being cruel to their snake or anything like that.

But - if you only had one and you did want to do spoil it - a nice big cage with lots of exploration room seems like a good way. I know that, as Snakey has gotten bigger, the way in which he moves inside his cage has simplified alot. He used to spend a little time in the evenings doing what I called the "Snake Lava Lamp". He would slowly wind through all his furniture in a seemingly endless set of combinations, stopping every so often to do a long, motionless stare. With the big red heat lamp, it was cooler than any lava-lamp I've ever seen. He just doesn't do it any more. He doesn't even have to fully leave his hide to make it to the water dish and they are almost on opposite sides of the tank!
    1.0 Normal BP - "Snakey"
    1.0 Jungle carpet python - "Chewbacca" aka "Chewie"
    0.1 Olive python - "Cleopatra" aka "Cleo"
    0.0.1 Corn - "Husker"
    1.0 Veiled Chameleon - "Kermit"

Thanks

I have a few snakes that if I put them in anything bigger than a 15qt tub, they stop eating and get extremely stressed out.

Also, with a 75 gallon tank, that is a HUGE space to heat, not to mention drafty. Why not get a really nice Animal Plastics cage(4x2) or a cage from Cages By Design. You'd spend alot less in electrical bills since they are better insulated. Would be a really nice conversation piece instead of a huge tank(that would look really nice with fish in it).
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

Honestly I think it's ridiculous to say they like small cages.

Would you like living in your bathroom for the rest of your life?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Many other keepers have also felt similarly to those who have expressed an interest in housing their balls in larger enclosures (although I'm glad "I" don't have to break down and completely disinfect a 75 gallon once a month).

Many keepers have tried larger enclosures, and had their ball pythons begin to fast for extended periods of time, and found when they moved them back down to smaller more appropriately sized enclosures (read - as recommended by keepers with multiple balls and years of experience working and being students of these animals) that they resumed eating reliably for them, suggesting that their snakes did not in fact thrive in a larger enclosure that their owner thought that they would appreciate.

That's not to say that "some" ball pythons may do beautifully in a larger enclosure - but I personally believe that those keepers should go into a larger enclosure with an open enough mind to move their snakes back down to a smaller one if their snakes are not feeding as well as they did in smaller enclosures. Despite any money that may have been invested in the larger enclosure.

Larger enclosures are also much more difficult to achieve and maintain ideal temperatures and humidity.

Just my

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by N4S
    Honestly I think it's ridiculous to say they like small cages.

Would you like living in your bathroom for the rest of your life?

I wouldn't, but then I'm not a ball python either with their requirements and needs.

Comparing human desires with reptilian desires is apples to grapes, it's not even apples to oranges, much less apples to apples.

Just saying....(Jamie, your check's in the mail)

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast