Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,114

2 members and 1,112 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,120
Threads: 248,562
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Luke50585
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Please Help! Bite...

It's what everyone hates to hear... but, my bp got bitten by a mouse near the eye and I'm freaking out. I don't know if it's bleeding, it's not wet, but a little red by the heat pits and the eyes. Is there anything around the house that could help me treat it? Please help!

Thanks

Re: Please Help! Bite...

other than a phone call to the vet...
    one of my girls got bit, not by the eye... it it didnt bleed... i just cleaned it up and let her be... but i would still try and get her to a vet to get some antibiotics(sp?) for her... just my 2 cents
    2.0 Ball Pythons
    0.1 Red Tail Boas
    1.4 Rabbits
    0.1 German Shepherd

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

If it's close to the eye, just keep it clean. If it's far enough away from the eye to safely dab neosporin (without pain reliever) on it, do that. Sounds like it's not truly a puncture wound, correct?

Thanks

I'm not sure, I haven't exactly looked at him yet, so he doesn't regurge or bite me. I'll check tomorrow for sure, for now I'll keep it clean and see if it that area is swollen.

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

Most balls won't regure just from being picked up and checked out. Pick him up and check him out the sooner you know the better. The faster you can treat it if it is anything the better in will heal and the less risk of problems down the road. As for the getting bit part it comes with owning a snake from time to time. You can't delay medical treatment because of apprehension over getting bit.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BallPythonsRule
    It's what everyone hates to hear... but, my bp got bitten by a mouse near the eye and I'm freaking out. I don't know if it's bleeding, it's not wet, but a little red by the heat pits and the eyes. Is there anything around the house that could help me treat it? Please help!
    well the best thing to do is go to the vet and ask their also next time you feed him a rat k.o the rat hit the back of his head agenst a table soo he wont struggle

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bonheki
    well the best thing to do is go to the vet and ask their also next time you feed him a rat k.o the rat hit the back of his head agenst a table soo he wont struggle
    Yea this works or switch your snake over to F/T
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bonheki
    That's disgusting. If you don't feel your snake, who has millions of years of evolution under it's belt(or spurs if you prefer), can't take down a live mouse by itself when offered properly, then please feed frozen/thawed. There is no reason whatsoever to knock a prey animal upside the head just because you're not capable of feeding the snake properly or picking out an appropriately sized prey.

Pre-Scent the room for 30 minutes or so, so the snakes know what is going to happen. Feed the exact same way every time, snakes pick up on routine and thrive on it. Drop the prey animal on the opposite side of the tub that the snake is on, and close the tub(unless you have my snakes and they are halfway out of the tub already and striking at your face because they want that dang mouse! It's hard to toss a mouse inside a tub when you have teeth coming at you from the only opening). If the snake is shy, just close up the tub, but if you know the snake isn't very bright and likes to grab the mouse by the tail and then go drown it in the water bowl(Arith.. I'm talking about you), then you will want to watch and make sure the prey animal is dispatched quickly by the snake.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

Ok, I checked him out and there doesn't seem to be an open scar, more like a scratch.. Is this something to worry about?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

more than likely not. But put a little dab of Neosporin (the kind with out painkiller) on it and keep an eye on it.

Best of luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast