Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,219

5 members and 3,214 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,136
Threads: 248,575
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RelentlessPanda
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Tub Size for Ages?

Alright, all you breeders and rack users come and answer!

What size tubs (preferably in qt sizes) do you use for various aged ball pythons? At what age/weight do you decide to go up a size?

What size do you use for hatchlings, yearlings, adults, ext?

If anyone has the same information for corns I would love to hear that too!
    Thanks everyone!

Thanks

Re: Tub Size for Ages?

I base my tub size on size and personality only, not age. What I mean by personality is that some animals are just more comfortable in tighter spaces than others, so those do not get moved up as fast.

Corns

Sandwich box for neonates
    8 qt shoebox up to 25 to 125g
    15 qt for 125 to 200g
    27 or 32 qt 200 to 300g
    300+g get a 41 qt.

I have one girl that is pushing 1000g....she is getting close.

Still working on my BP weights / tub
    Jenea
    GuardianReptiles.com

"The irrational fear of snakes is the only excuse a grown man has to act like a complete sissy" - Colchicine

Thanks

Well, I'm not a typical tub user in that I prefer using tubs that have a bit more height than normal...especially for corns.

For hatchling BPs and larger juvi corns - 12qt

For juvi BPs and sub-adult corns - 15qt

For sub-adult BPs and adult corns - size "large" Rubbermaid clear impressions (@26x15x10)

For adult BPs - 90qt (same L&W as a 41, but 12" high)

The extra head room I give my snakes seems to be quite appreciated, mostly by the corn snakes. But even the BPs like to be able to lift up and cruise every now and then. They have good snug hides and cover greenery in there as well so they don't feel exposed or stressed at all. Of course, I'm much better with and more partial to tanks.
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

Thanks

For us basically it's:

hatchlings up until they reach about 200 grams - 6 qt

200 grams until they hit about 600-700 grams or so - 15 qt

larger than 700 grams - 32 qt for males (all their life)
    - 32 qt for females until they are 2,000 grams, after that they go into 41 qts (we do keep our 3 biggest female BP's in bigger than 41 qt tubs)

This is dependent though on the individual snake. We've had a few that when they reached a size to graduate from the 15 into the 32 they absolutely freaked and refused to eat. We put them back into the 15 and left them for another few months and then they did accept the move better. I think for the really shy ones any move up in tub size can be stressful so sometimes you just have to work with what works for that particular snake.

It also depends on whether or not you have hides and how many hides. Most of our bigger BP's don't use hides as the enclosed rack basically acts as their hide. Some do need hides though so they require a tub size big enough to allow for that so they can feel less stressed.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

It is true that the individual snake is a major factor in housing, even in corns.

Some prefer long and low because they want to stretch out more, others like wide and high to climb around. (my two male corns are these).
    Among my BPs, I have a small female who hates being in a tub of any size and sulks/refuses food unless she's in her 20L tank. Go figure.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Argentra View Post
    It is true that the individual snake is a major factor in housing, even in corns.

Some prefer long and low because they want to stretch out more, others like wide and high to climb around. (my two male corns are these).
    Among my BPs, I have a small female who hates being in a tub of any size and sulks/refuses food unless she's in her 20L tank. Go figure.
    My first corn is going to probably stay in the 20g tank for the rest of her life.. just because that's where she's always been and I don't intend on moving her..
    I wouldn't worry about her eating though.. ever..

I agree, I'll probably work with personality a lot and such.. but I'm going to be making a rack and want to probably have 4-5 different sizes in it.
    For this, I want to make sure my sizes are definite and what I want. I'm probably going to go with something along the lines of a.. set of;
    6qts
    15qts
    32qts
    41qts
    A few 60qt..

So hopefully that range will be enough for all of it. :]
    Edit: Also, does anyone have any reason to not have corn snakes and ball pythons in the same rack system? Same room? Thanks.

Thanks

Same room no problem. All my snakes are in the bedroom, true my corns are across from the BPs but no biggie.

The big thing with the same rack would be temps. Corns need 10 degrees or so lower than BPs and hardly ever need both sides heated (like my BPs do since I live in the land of weird weather). You'd still need separate t-stats and would probably have to keep the corns on the bottom where it's 'cooler' if they were in the same rack, and even then they might be a bit warm.

Not sure, tho... I never tried anything like that myself. I'm making my first rack right now for my adult BPs to save space, otherwise they'd all be in tanks.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Argentra View Post
    Same room no problem. All my snakes are in the bedroom, true my corns are across from the BPs but no biggie.

The big thing with the same rack would be temps. Corns need 10 degrees or so lower than BPs and hardly ever need both sides heated (like my BPs do since I live in the land of weird weather). You'd still need separate t-stats and would probably have to keep the corns on the bottom where it's 'cooler' if they were in the same rack, and even then they might be a bit warm.

Not sure, tho... I never tried anything like that myself. I'm making my first rack right now for my adult BPs to save space, otherwise they'd all be in tanks.
    Right, I had thought of that.
    Do you think drilling more holes per tub would make a difference for the corn snake tubs?

Thanks

It might... but there would be more holes than tub! I suppose you could try it while the rack was empty (since you should run racks with empty tubs for a few days to make sure everything works) and see if you could keep the lower tubs temps low enough. Never hurts to try...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frankykeno View Post
    For us basically it's:

hatchlings up until they reach about 200 grams - 6 qt

200 grams until they hit about 600-700 grams or so - 15 qt

larger than 700 grams - 32 qt for males (all their life)
    - 32 qt for females until they are 2,000 grams, after that they go into 41 qts (we do keep our 3 biggest female BP's in bigger than 41 qt tubs)
    I've been following something like this for my BP's.
    My 2 year old corn is very shy so she's still in a smaller tub (15qt).
    ~Tashai
    5.10 ball pythons, 1.1 hog island boas,
    1.1 mexican black kings, 0.1 jungle carpet python 0.1.3 crested geckos

Visit my website: http://ti-imagery.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast