Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 892

2 members and 890 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,114
Threads: 248,559
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, kindred_of_rot
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Why we recommend Provent-a-mite in particular

Mites are a terrible problem in a collection but with the right tools they can be eradicated quickly! I see a lot of posts where people say they use various homebrews and products not patented for use on animals or even tested for safety. In my opinion, Provent A Mite (www.pro-products.com) is the best product out there for getting rid of these nasty little bugs. There are a lot of people who say that Provent A Mite (PAM for short, not to be confused with the cooking spray!) has the same ingredients as bedding sprays or other products meant for use on mammals. I made the following post on a thread (http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...ighlight=mites) about a year and a half ago. Hopefully it is helpful in making your decision on what product to use. In the end, everyone needs to make their own decision about what is best for the animals in their care. Best of luck!

I spent about 30 minutes on the phone with Bob Pound, the manufacturer of Provent A Mite. He may be the most knowledgeable person about pest control and the chemicals used this side of my local exterminator. I am sure the information that he provided which I will post here will be dismissed as bias by those who believe beyond a reasonable doubt that Equate is:

A. The same product in a different can
    B. Equally as safe for reptiles
    C. Equally as effective

Take it as you will, but this information is pretty damn convincing in my mind (which may not be on par with some of the insta-experts that reside here).

Here you go (his direct information will be in quotes):

Claim: Equate is the same product in a different can and is equally safe for reptiles as Provent A Mite

"The word permethrin is a generic name of a group of pyrethroid chemical isomers. This is like saying everything with the word soap is the same thing. Put your wet hand into a box of powdered laundry detergent and see if it is the same as a bar of ivory, but they are both "soap".

Without exception, these other products use a much more toxic isomer as they are all designed to be applied to material that maybe will have the potential for contact with mammals, which have a completely different physiology than reptiles do. These products are designed to be as toxic as possible to get a quick "knock down". These higher toxicities will not harm mammals, but are documented to harm lower vertebrates, including reptiles, fish, amphibians, mollusks and so forth and therefore can be used for these other uses. Also, only a very small percentage of what is in the can is the "active" ingredient, the rest is always a trade secret of the company, so will never be disclosed (only the generic active name has to be disclosed under EPA regulations). Different isomers have differing toxicities and again, only a range of the cis-trans ratio is given on a label, so one can never find out what is really in the can (again trade secret).

Since a product is only approved by the EPA for the uses listed on the label, chemicals in the formula that are not toxic to the host for the testing submitted, doesn't mean they would not be toxic to a host not listed. In fact many of the "inerts" used in these permethrin formulas are toxic to reptiles. If the company tried to receive EPA approval with these formulas for use on reptiles, they would not, as the EPA would not allow a product to be sold that would harm the host listed on the label. This is why the EPA regulations state that it is a federal offense to sell or use a product inconsistent with the label, not only because of the risk to the host, but also because such usage can create resistance.

Many products for example, use a more toxic isomer and then use a synergist such as PBO. PBO breaks through the insect's defense and its synergistic activity makes the insecticide more powerful and effective. With the high cost of insecticides, PBO effectively reduces the cost by allowing the product to use les s active ingredient to obtain the mortality rate desired. The problem with this is PBO is absolutely toxic to reptiles with several published studies regarding using PBO for the killing of brown tree and other snakes confirming this.

Despite anyone's claim to the contrary, many of these other "identical" products have injured and killed many reptiles as we get the phone calls from people telling us after the fact. Also many times, the exposure can lead to chronic health problems instead of an acute reaction, so if the animal dies at a later date, no one looks back and understands the actual cause of death. This is a classic example with no pest strips. No clinical studies were ever performed and people just started using them, using their animals as guinea pigs. Only after many years of usage were the risks associated with them disclosed. This has been established by many leading zoos and vets, but even now, many people still swear they are the best thing to use and do not pose any risk."

Provent-a-mite™ is the only product that has been approved by the EPA and USDA], has undergone extensive clinical and field studies to insure that will eliminate, not just control a mite or tick problem and is unique enough to have received a patent. No other product is more effective or can make these claims and certainly no other product is the same as Provent-a-mite™”

Claim: Equate (and other similar products) are equally as effective in killing mites and their eggs

"Provent-a-mite™ is the only product that will create residual protection that will not drop down to levels that can create resistance. We use a proprietary "time" release that ensures that it will create a long term residual effect at a high enough concentration to prevent the potential t o create resistant pests. Since mites and ticks can carry several diseases that can be harmful or fatal to the host, just getting an infestation is already too late if the pest was infected. Applying Provent-a-mite™to a cloth and then wiping around any openings in a cage will provide a barrier that will last a minimum of 30 days (usually 60 to 180 days). This will kill any ectoparasites before they can infest and potentially infect an animal. None of these other products can do this as their formulas are designed to break down very quickly, often in as little as 48 hours.

Provent-a-mite™ is also one of the least expensive methods when one compares the cost per application and the number of applications required. To treat an average 4' x 2' cage is approximately 50¢ with usually only one application required. To use the product preventatively, the cost for an average cage is about 5¢. The product has an average shelf life of 7 years. One of the biggest problems is that many people overuse the product, so the can will not treat as many cages as it actually should, costing more to use it than necessary.”
    Last edited by dr del; 07-24-2008 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Changing text at O.P's req

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to jglass38 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Anatopism (03-29-2013),BPelizabeth (10-24-2009),BPMIKE (05-01-2009),Brie (09-19-2010),Coleslaw007 (04-26-2012),Ginevive (04-12-2013),jylesa (05-18-2014),Kaorte (05-13-2013),mfkelly (09-01-2009),Puck (07-17-2013),reptidude1 (10-05-2009),Seneschal (10-26-2009),shadowsnakes (07-28-2013),sissysnakes (04-04-2013),somnambulant (10-18-2014),stinker2009 (07-22-2009)

Thanks

Re: Why we recommend Provent-a-mite in particular

Yeah! This stuff is totally worth it's weight in gold. 1 snake already had mites. I used it 1 time per tank, and never again have I had mites. I don't even remember were the can is. Don't need to.
    1.0.0 Normal BP: Vincent Vega

Thanks

might i add dont use this stuff around feeder insects or pet insects!

Thanks

I have also heard of Provent-O-Mite. Is this a misspelling, or are they different products?

http://www.ralphdavisreptiles.com/ma...ack_knight.asp

Thanks

Just a misspelling.
    `*`

Ridgecrest, California...Gateway to Death Valley!
    Thanks

Ive used other Permethrin products, and Provent A Mite, Nothing can compare. It works great, I couldnt live without it.

Thanks

I picked up a Jungle Carpet about 1.5 years ago. That snaked was the carrier of a bad case of Mites. I did try the Cheap stuff from Walmart for head lice and it worked. I then picked up PAM. They are all gone now. It's been 30 days at least. My snakes where near death. I can't say enough about this product.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jglass38 View Post
    Mites are a terrible problem in a collection but with the right tools they can be eradicated quickly! I see a lot of posts where people say they use various homebrews and products not patented for use on animals or even tested for safety. In my opinion, Provent A Mite (www.pro-products.com) is the best product out there for getting rid of these nasty little bugs. There are a lot of people who say that Provent A Mite (PAM for short, not to be confused with the cooking spray!) has the same ingredients as bedding sprays or other products meant for use on mammals. I made the following post on a thread (http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...ighlight=mites) about a year and a half ago. Hopefully it is helpful in making your decision on what product to use. In the end, everyone needs to make their own decision about what is best for the animals in their care. Best of luck!

I spent about 30 minutes on the phone with Bob Pound, the manufacturer of Provent A Mite. He may be the most knowledgeable person about pest control and the chemicals used this side of my local exterminator. I am sure the information that he provided which I will post here will be dismissed as bias by those who believe beyond a reasonable doubt that Equate is:

A. The same product in a different can
    B. Equally as safe for reptiles
    C. Equally as effective

Take it as you will, but this information is pretty damn convincing in my mind (which may not be on par with some of the insta-experts that reside here).

Here you go (his direct information will be in quotes):

Claim: Equate is the same product in a different can and is equally safe for reptiles as Provent A Mite

"The word permethrin is a generic name of a group of pyrethroid chemical isomers. This is like saying everything with the word soap is the same thing. Put your wet hand into a box of powdered laundry detergent and see if it is the same as a bar of ivory, but they are both "soap".

Without exception, these other products use a much more toxic isomer as they are all designed to be applied to material that maybe will have the potential for contact with mammals, which have a completely different physiology than reptiles do. These products are designed to be as toxic as possible to get a quick "knock down". These higher toxicities will not harm mammals, but are documented to harm lower vertebrates, including reptiles, fish, amphibians, mollusks and so forth and therefore can be used for these other uses. Also, only a very small percentage of what is in the can is the "active" ingredient, the rest is always a trade secret of the company, so will never be disclosed (only the generic active name has to be disclosed under EPA regulations). Different isomers have differing toxicities and again, only a range of the cis-trans ratio is given on a label, so one can never find out what is really in the can (again trade secret).

Since a product is only approved by the EPA for the uses listed on the label, chemicals in the formula that are not toxic to the host for the testing submitted, doesn't mean they would not be toxic to a host not listed. In fact many of the "inerts" used in these permethrin formulas are toxic to reptiles. If the company tried to receive EPA approval with these formulas for use on reptiles, they would not, as the EPA would not allow a product to be sold that would harm the host listed on the label. This is why the EPA regulations state that it is a federal offense to sell or use a product inconsistent with the label, not only because of the risk to the host, but also because such usage can create resistance.

Many products for example, use a more toxic isomer and then use a synergist such as PBO. PBO breaks through the insect's defense and its synergistic activity makes the insecticide more powerful and effective. With the high cost of insecticides, PBO effectively reduces the cost by allowing the product to use les s active ingredient to obtain the mortality rate desired. The problem with this is PBO is absolutely toxic to reptiles with several published studies regarding using PBO for the killing of brown tree and other snakes confirming this.

Despite anyone's claim to the contrary, many of these other "identical" products have injured and killed many reptiles as we get the phone calls from people telling us after the fact. Also many times, the exposure can lead to chronic health problems instead of an acute reaction, so if the animal dies at a later date, no one looks back and understands the actual cause of death. This is a classic example with no pest strips. No clinical studies were ever performed and people just started using them, using their animals as guinea pigs. Only after many years of usage were the risks associated with them disclosed. This has been established by many leading zoos and vets, but even now, many people still swear they are the best thing to use and do not pose any risk."

Provent-a-mite™ is the only product that has been approved by the EPA and USDA], has undergone extensive clinical and field studies to insure that will eliminate, not just control a mite or tick problem and is unique enough to have received a patent. No other product is more effective or can make these claims and certainly no other product is the same as Provent-a-mite™”

Claim: Equate (and other similar products) are equally as effective in killing mites and their eggs

"Provent-a-mite™ is the only product that will create residual protection that will not drop down to levels that can create resistance. We use a proprietary "time" release that ensures that it will create a long term residual effect at a high enough concentration to prevent the potential t o create resistant pests. Since mites and ticks can carry several diseases that can be harmful or fatal to the host, just getting an infestation is already too late if the pest was infected. Applying Provent-a-mite™to a cloth and then wiping around any openings in a cage will provide a barrier that will last a minimum of 30 days (usually 60 to 180 days). This will kill any ectoparasites before they can infest and potentially infect an animal. None of these other products can do this as their formulas are designed to break down very quickly, often in as little as 48 hours.

Provent-a-mite™ is also one of the least expensive methods when one compares the cost per application and the number of applications required. To treat an average 4' x 2' cage is approximately 50¢ with usually only one application required. To use the product preventatively, the cost for an average cage is about 5¢. The product has an average shelf life of 7 years. One of the biggest problems is that many people overuse the product, so the can will not treat as many cages as it actually should, costing more to use it than necessary.”
    I can attest to this as well. I used an off brand after a friend of mine who has been breeding pythons for years that I trust suggested it was just as safe. Used it with great success for a while, but ended up having a pied that had neurological issues because of it and died less than a week later. You live, you learn.

On a side note, the other permetherins (I use one made for horses) works outstanding as a preventative if use correctly. It stays active for about 3 weeks. I use it around the cages every 2 weeks in my store and since have never had a mite spread while in the store. I do not spray in order to prevent damage to snakes and inverts, but instead wipe OUTSIDE of cages with a dilluted form and have done so for nearly a year with no issues. I also apply it around door ways to quarentine/hospital rooms to stop spread.

Thanks

Provent-A-Mite rules!!!!!!! No ifs, ands, or buts about it! I will never use anything else. It was FAST working and my animals had no problem with it at all! Nough Said!
    Mike Kelly
    Mike
    P.S. - Just remember "This ain't no dress rehearsal !!!"

Thanks

Is this something you use if your snakes get mites, or can you use it to make sure they wont get them?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast