Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,101

1 members and 3,100 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,136
Threads: 248,575
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RelentlessPanda
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Buyers beware!

Thanks

Exclamation Buyers beware!

Today I went to the All Maryland Reptile Show in Havre de Grace, Maryland looking to buy a normal male baby ball python. The expo was amazing, they had a lot of great snakes, and anything else anyone owning or thinking about owning a snake would need. When I first entered the expo I immediately hit every table to check out what different breeders were selling, looked at some really nice snakes, and to look for my newest pet! To make a long story short, I walked around twice just to make sure I had seen all of the potential snakes that I would consider buying. Toward the end of my walk around I lay my eyes on this beautiful little baby ball female (not even a foot long), with the most amazing pattern. She looked nice, had clean vents, no wheezing, actively flicked tounge, skin was not too loose as it was a baby, eyes clear, gripped firmly but gently, everything SEEMED to be perfect. So, I went in expecting to get a baby male and walked out with a female hatchling. BTW I was sanitizing my hand with purell after holding each snake.

I was so excited to get her home and put her in the tank so that she could get used to her new enviornment. Havre de Grace is about a 1 hour drive, so on the car ride home I had her between my legs in the little tub she came in with my hands cupped around the tub (to keep it warm) and below the air holes of course so that she could breathe. I also had towel over her to keep it dark. During this time I was periodically checking on her to make sure she was okay. She made it through the car trip, and before I put her in her actual tank I quarantined her to make sure she did not have mites or anything else. I stepped out of the room for about 30 minutes to each lunch, and when I came back she was dead!! She was lying lifeless on her side, I could not believe it. The quarantine tank had everything that the snake needed including two hides, a waterbowl, white paper towels as substrate and appropriate heat with 2 thermostats and a hygrometer. I have absolutely no idea how this happened or what could have caused the death, everything with the husbandry was perfect. I bought the snake from Adam Kuhn of Adam Kuhn Captive Bred Reptiles, and I believe that he sold me a sick snake. I took his buisness card when I purchased her, and when I called him and told him what happened he was not helpful in trying to remedy the situation at all. He said that I would have to wait until the next show on Feburary 15th (almost six weeks from now) in which he would pay the $7.00 for admission and then provide me with a new snake! He did not offer another snake free of charge, and when I offered to pay for shipping he deterred me and said that it would cost me at least $50.00. Not only was he unwilling to replace my snake at the present time, he also did not apologize and was extremely passive about the situation.

Obviously, the snake that was sold to me was sick prior to my purchase. Please BEWARE and STEER CLEAR of Adam Kuhn and the reptiles he is selling. I was very excited about bringing my new snake home, and needless to say I'm extremely distraught over what happened. I do not want this to happen to anyone else. Although graphic, I do think it is important to illustrate the severity of the situation by including a photo. As soon as I figure out how to upload pics, I will post again with them included on the page.

Thanks

Re: Buyers beware!

wow. but anything can happen.if was sick it should have showed some signs? I watched a girl at the last Maryland show drop her BP on the floor it smaked real hard,not saying that you did anything to damage the snake.He should replace it for you though.
    WHITEMARSH BALL PYTHONS
    CAPTIVE BRED BY GREGORY J HALL

CHECKOUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL BELOW ALL BP's
    http://www.youtube.com/user/GREGORYJHALL
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/White...88827331178640
    410-206-9781

Thanks

I gotta say - you are dealing with animals here and that makes it unpredictable.

Correct me if I'm wrong but he is saying he will replace the snake and pay for your admission to the show - you just have to wait a couple weeks?
    -Stacey

1.0 Ball Python... Stanley (gotta start somewhere..)
    0.3 Mice .... Maui, Mango and Mai Tai, aka Satan's spawn
    1.0 Bunny Rabbit... William, aka Bill the Bunny, aka Bill-Bo

"Honos Habet Onus"

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SecurityStacey For This Useful Post:

771subliminal (01-11-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SecurityStacey View Post
    I gotta say - you are dealing with animals here and that makes it unpredictable.

Correct me if I'm wrong but he is saying he will replace the snake and pay for your admission to the show - you just have to wait a couple weeks?
    He offered to pay shipping...right? So, why should he have to wait a couple of weeks after he already has made the trip, brought the snake and paid his own way in?

Why have to go though it twice (even if someone else is paying the second time) why have to wait when you already had brought one and had plans for it and were ready for it?

"Price has very little to do with QUALITY. Quality stands on its own merit and doesn't need a hefty price tag to prove its worth."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,111 Times in 629 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SecurityStacey View Post

I was having trouble deciphering that one too...
    Praying for Stinger Bees

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

You said the snake looked fine when you picked it out at the show?
    The seller is going to replace the snake anyway, and pay for you to enter the show?
    And the issue is...? I'm sorry the snake died, but since it died after a longish journey in your hands, I'd wonder WHY it died. I can't think of anything that would show a perfectly healthy LOOKING snake, that would kill it within 30 minutes of it arriving home.
    What was the quarentine? You said "and before I put her in her actual tank I quarantined her to make sure she did not have mites or anything else." Did you mean you TREATED her for mites? Quarentining a snake isn't usually something you do before putting them in their enclosure, it's usually housing them seperately from any other reptiles for a long period of time.. 4 weeks? Longer?
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wolfy-hound For This Useful Post:

771subliminal (01-11-2009),Alice (03-20-2009),monk90222 (01-11-2009)

Thanks

I don't know.....

After I pay my money for a snake, I want it. I don't want to wait any more time (or I would have put it on the layaway).

I don't subscribe to the theory that I have to make a trip, buy a snake, have it die less than 24 hours later (and it's somehow my fault) and I should wait 6 weeks till I can get another cause he'll pay my way in the show.

btw: if all he had was one snake quarantine is a non-issue.
    Last edited by broadude; 01-11-2009 at 01:25 AM. Reason: i'll wait for the pics...I HATE jumping the gun!

"Price has very little to do with QUALITY. Quality stands on its own merit and doesn't need a hefty price tag to prove its worth."

Thanks

I agree with the general forum. You did not quarantine....a quarantine is basically solo supervised care away from the general collection.

Back on the seller, I think you are flaming the seller without good cause as long as I understand the situation correctly. From what you said, it sounds like the seller is willing to pay your admission to the next show, and give you a similar snake for free. That seems like really good post-purchase service to me. Yeah, it sucks that your snake died, and that you will have to go out of your way again to the show (and gas), but overall, the seller seems to be handling it really well.

If you can afford it, get an autopsy done at your local herp vet.

My guess for her death is actually something you did during the "quarantine" process. Again, this is just a hunch, I am not trying to call you out on anything, just the way you said it makes me imagine you spraying the snake with PAM.

The issue with the quarantine as stated above isnt that it was or was not necessary, it is that the way the OP stated how the quarantine was done is all but a 10 minute ordeal, which is not a QT. If it wasnt a proper QT, then what was it...that is what I am asking.
    -Austin
    0.8 Normal 1.0 Pastel 0.0.1 Spider
    1.1 Het Kahl BCI-08's-FS/T
    1.0 Hypo Citrus Beardie (Citrón)
    0.1 Citrus Beardie (Tang)
    0.0.1 Rose Hair Tarantula (Rose)
    0.1 Himalayan Cat (Meredith)
    0.2 Persian Cats (Madison and Myrtle)
    1.0 Shih-Tzu (Gizmo) 0.1 Lhasa-Apso (Lana)
    Rats, ASF's, Turks & Dubias.

Thanks

Shipping for any snake is normally 50+ $.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Whitehead View Post
    I was having trouble deciphering that one too...

Does anyone know this breeder? How do we know he would even BE at the next show? Does he have a good name?

Going to Fauna... to find out....

I am not going to tell the OP what he did wrong in the quarantine..I would prefer for him to explain what his quarantine was.

Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast